Nokia C2-01 SIM Card Issue

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping some of you more knowledgeable peeps can help me out with an issue I'm having with an old, old, pay as you go phone, a Nokia C2-01.

I'm trying to move the phone over to Asda Mobile from Three, but when I put in the Asda SIM the phone powers up, displays a white screen and does nothing else. :confused: Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what could be causing it? I've tried the Asda SIM in another phone old phone and it works fine in that, so what is going on?

I'm sure by now you can tell I know next to nothing about mobile phones, so I would welcome any help or advice any of you fine folk could offer me.

Thanks. :)

wine man

Is the new sim the correct size for the Nokia?. I see the C-201 dates from 2011, newer sims tend to be smaller (e.g. nano sim).

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. :)

The SIM is one of those all in one jobs meant to fit in any phone. It fits fine, the phone just doesn't seem to want to work with it for some reason. More bizarre is the fact the SIM works in another phone I have access to. :confused:

I have two theories thus far. Perhaps the phone is locked to Three? Surely the phone would tell me that though when I put the new SIM in?

Or perhaps the SIM is just incompatible with the phone?

wine man

If the phone is locked you would normally get a message something like 'locked to network' on the screen when you insert the sim. I have an old Orange phone but my EE sim from my latest phone refuses to work in it.

wine man

Yes I have seen discussions on the EE community on this. The Orange phones are seen as from a previous company (I got mine on contract through an Orange store) so you have to get them unlocked to work with an EE sim.

depot

There’s a bunch of google results for Nokia c2-01 showing white screen problems, do you have or can borrow a working three sim, if the three sim works ok, it could be a locking problem, but have to say properly better getting a new phone, you can get feature phones from £13,

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
Yes I have seen discussions on the EE community on this. The Orange phones are seen as from a previous company (I got mine on contract through an Orange store) so you have to get them unlocked to work with an EE sim.
Perhaps it's the same case with this Nokia phone then? Maybe it's salvageable after all?

Is there more to this unlocking procedure they have to do on the phone themselves than simply asking them to send an unlock code?

There’s a bunch of google results for Nokia c2-01 showing white screen problems,
Yes, those relate to hardware issues though, don't they? That's not the case here.

do you have or can borrow a working three sim, if the three sim works ok, it could be a locking problem,
The previous Three SIM still works flawlessly. Or do you mean try an additional Three SIM?

but have to say properly better getting a new phone, you can get feature phones from £13,
I have started looking at replacements, but the techie in me wants to get to the root of this existing problem, lol.

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
I meant if the original three works, it does suggest a locking problem, post #11 and #13 on this thread seem to say that https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f6...r2qrMmVSNks-1630189093-0-gqNtZGzNAiWjcnBszQfR could try to get it unlocked, if only for curiosity’s sake
Many thanks for the link. :smashin: Post #11 and #13 describe exactly what I am experiencing. Very strange.

If the tech chaps on that other forum couldn’t find a solution, I doubt very much I can.

When you say I should try to get the phone unlocked, do you mean take it in to a Three store for them to do it, or request an unlock code from them via their website?

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
Yes, I'll give the bay a wide bearth, too risky.

Would it cost anything to get an unlock code from Three if I requested one via their website?

depot

Yes, I'll give the bay a wide bearth, too risky.

Would it cost anything to get an unlock code from Three if I requested one via their website?
I think it’s free, but with the age of the phone, they may not be able to unlock it, but you have nothing to lose.

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
I can but try. If in the end the age of the phone beats us then that's fair enough.

Thanks for all of your help and advice mate, I really appreciate it. :smashin:

Dave X

I can but try. If in the end the age of the phone beats us then that's fair enough.

Thanks for all of your help and advice mate, I really appreciate it. :smashin:

If it’s any consolation I have an old Three C2-01 that does exactly the same thing. Works perfectly with a Three sim but just goes white screen after the Nokia splash screen when turning on with any other sim.

I’m sure I remember asking Three for the unlocking code and them saying the phone was already unlocked. I tried a few unlockers but no one could sort it.

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
If it’s any consolation I have an old Three C2-01 that does exactly the same thing. Works perfectly with a Three sim but just goes white screen after the Nokia splash screen when turning on with any other sim.

I’m sure I remember asking Three for the unlocking code and them saying the phone was already unlocked. I tried a few unlockers but no one could sort it.
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. It’s reassuring to know I’m not the only one who has encountered this exact issue with this particular phone. Frustrating though there doesn’t seem to be a solution for it.

After trawling through Three’s website, I discovered a section that stated phones purchased from them after 1 January 2014 were unlocked. The phone I have was purchased after this date, so I didn’t pursue things any further. Besides, I doubt Three would have been very helpful considering I was trying to leave their network, lol.

In the end, a new phone purchase was the only option left. That was done last week. The Asda Mobile SIM was installed in it and worked a treat first time. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom