1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia 9850T (onDigital)

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by steelegbr, Aug 8, 2004.

1. steelegbr

steelegbr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I bought a Nokia 9850T (onDigital) second hand and have been supplied no manual. I have wired the box up with SCART cable and ariel cable but no modem cable or subscription smart card (I don't want to order one from TopUp Tv if it doesn't work).

Problem is that the box returns the message Retrying Update on display on the front of the box and nothing onscreen.

Any help appreciated.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    A factory reset might do the trick. I can't remember how to do it from memory but a search of the DTT Forum over at www.digitalspy.co.uk should find something.

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    It sounds as though the box may have been interrupted during an "over the air" update which has corrupted the software. It is now trying to run the update again to correct the problem but, since the demise on On Digital, updates are no longer being transmitted. I have recently tried to contact Nokia to find out if any updates will be available in the future to enable teletext & 7 day EPG support - it seems not.

Given that this is a very slow box anyway & you don't need TUTV, you may have to put this one down to experience. Just an afterthought but have you verified that Freeview is available in your area? Check the postcode search here.

For what it's worth, you can download a manual here.

4. steelegbr

steelegbr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I't doesn't seem to respond to the remote signals (I have replaced the batteries) and is continusly displaying the Update message then after a while the message "Error" and still no picture! As for reception, it is replacement for an old Freeview box that did get a signal.

5. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    GaryB's suggestion is a good one that I hadn't considered. There are instructions here. If this works the chances are that you will not be able to access text services such as BBCi but I guess half a box is better than none!

6. steelegbr

steelegbr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reset didn't seem to work.... It would not do the turning on/off bit and had no effect, still the same problem...

I have seen on the sattelite versions of the boxes, updates are available on the internet... is that possible with this box?

Does it make a difference that I have no smart card in it?

Or is it possible for another method for a factory reset such as like a computer BIOS/CMOS by removing an internal battery?

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Oh dear a Nokia - bin it or sell on Ebay as needing repairs - repair cost is greater than buying a new Freeview box