Nokia 8800 Sirocco owners....... What are your thoughts?

gilford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, mine arrived yesterday and I must say that it is a truly stunning phone with superb build quality :thumbsup:

I will write down any plus' and also the negative's in a day or 2 once I have had some time with the phone.

Are there any owners out there who would like to post their thoughts on the phone? It would be a great thread for people who are looking into getting this phone. It is a pricey little thing and there aren't many reviews on it so this would be great reading for prospevtive buyers.

well ive just bought one for my dads christmas present and to be honest im thinking of keeping it! :D Great phone and very stylish!

Looks wise, this phone is unbeatable, and after prolonged use the only things i could really gripe about are:

bottom row of keys - difficult to press due to close proximity of the keypad slider (might be fat finger syndrome here :rotfl:)
Menu structure - after being used to the Symbian menu layout, going back to the old Nokia scroll through menu takes some getting used to

On a more positive note, i find it holds a signal much better than any other phone i have/had. The spare battery is a godsend and the bluetooth headset is pretty smart too (with the speech recognition dialler a neat touch)

Well worth having IMO :smashin:

Had one for over a year now - I had one of the very first :cool: Lovely design and quality (unmatched yet) BUT, I found it was TOO nice. It looked and felt like something that was too good to use as a bash around mobile. Hence now retired.

Enjoy yours!

Jon :thumbsup:

I'm on the verge of ordering one.

Please tell me what the battery life is like in reality. It shows in the stats as being not far off a Samsung D900 (my 2nd choice) but some reviews say the battery is completely rubbish. Someone tell me what it's really like. About how long does it last without calls? With calls?....not sure how to measure this accurately though.

What about finger prints? Now, I'm not that fussy but if I'm going to get a phone that looks that good, I want to at least try & keep it good. Basically, is it a nightmare?!

Last question..........Black or silver?!!!

Hi Gobbie,

Battery life - I get around 4 days out of a single charge, and make/receive around 1 to 2 hours of calls a day.
The 8800 Scirocco comes with a spare battery anyway, and the docking station charges both the phone and the spare battery at the same time, so you should never have any issues.

I would recommend the black phone, however fingerprints are a bit of an issue - every fingerprint shows up; however it seems Nokia were aware of this, and include a handy leather wipe (chamois) to make your mirror finish phone nice and fingerprint free - It works like a charm :smashin:

Hi Gobbie,

Battery life - I get around 4 days out of a single charge, and make/receive around 1 to 2 hours of calls a day.
The 8800 Scirocco comes with a spare battery anyway, and the docking station charges both the phone and the spare battery at the same time, so you should never have any issues.

I would recommend the black phone, however fingerprints are a bit of an issue - every fingerprint shows up; however it seems Nokia were aware of this, and include a handy leather wipe (chamois) to make your mirror finish phone nice and fingerprint free - It works like a charm :smashin:

Cheers Ralsters,
You sound like you're happy with your Sirocco! Should I get it?!!!
I probably use the phone about the same as you. I travel a lot so I don't want to carry the charger around. Does it come with a travel charger, and is it the same style charger as every Nokia before it? If so, I should have about 5 chargers kicking around here.

How do you think it compares to the D900? It seems to look much classier but doesn't have all the functions.

The N95 is just round the corner too. Bigger, but looks like it does pretty much everything. No need for a PDA anymore. Not sure I can wait that long though. I'm sure it'll be expensive even on contract when it appears anyway.

Hi Gobbie,

I have had many phones in the last year or two, but have used the 8800 religiously since getting it, despite also having the N73, Compact III, M600i and the BlackBerry Pearl. I give it a big thumbs up :thumbsup:

In terms of functionality, its more basic than most of the latest gadgety phones, but makes up for this with a quality not yet matched elsewhere - It comes with a really small bluetooth headset too - ideal for many hours on the phone, handsfree!! (works with the same nokia charger too :) )

The charger is the current standard Nokia charger - Not sure if it's the same as all the others, as the connector looks slimmer than the older Nokia chargers I had- Same charger as the newer nokias for sure (N73)

I think you need to ask yourself how often you are likely use the functionality on more complex handsets, and if the answer (like me) is infrequently then the Scirocco is the phone for you - Ideal for heavy voice/text users, and looks smart to boot!!;)

Cheers,
Ralsters

love it as well - had mine a few weeks - had the 8800 non sirocco before and it wasnt that great - batt was awful - this ones much better...

And it LOOKS the part...
build quality is great, just try NOT to drop it as they start to go wrong (still the nokia sceen prob - if they are dropped) call quality is great - and I love the hands free kits, the other half has one ás well and is addicted to solitare!!!!

Got it today! Very nice!

Covered in finger prints already but I don't care.

I was surprised that I didn't get a USB cable with it. I suppose I just assumed I would. I had a quick look on e-bay & didn't see any. Does anyone know where to get one?

I'm having trouble connecting to my pc via bluetooth, as always. How are you sync'ing?

BTW, is it normal to sniff the leather holder a lot?!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom