1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nokia 8800 out monday!!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by kourosh, Jun 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    at last its out :clap: :clap: a few places online are offering monday dispatch next day delivery,and phones for u wed cant wait hurry up wed :rolleyes: :boring: :rolleyes: :boring: so who's getting 1 :thumbsup:

2. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That will be a big consideration for my next upgrade. I've always had a soft spot for the 8xxx series since I had an 8850 (even though it's been my most problematic phone!). Got an 6230 at the moment, but really want something that's special, and the Motorola Razr just doesn't do it for me.

The only problem I can see witht he 8800 is the weight of the thing. :(

3. yaserk99

yaserk99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For durability you will never find sronger phones than nokia- the other day my mate threw his 3310 ( yes that one - who had a gd87 which snapped :eek: and as it fell the cover battery and keys fell out samack on the ground yet it carried on working once put togethe - it took me back to the 7210 - a beast ofstrength yet this also has scratch resistant screen and steel :clap: :clap: frame - ive just got rid of a plastic d500 .... :lesson:

4. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    i had the 8850,also the one before ther 1st silver slide phone i cant remember the model now but it was about 9yrs ago.As you said its just something about them,i also had the v3 which is a great looking phone i sold it about 3 weeks ago some1 at work offered me £150,why not it will go towards the new nokia but be quick ive been told there are gonna be very limited :thumbsup:

5. Mossyman

Mossyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone heard anything more!?
    Cheers!
    Mossman :)

6. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

there is a few places on the net offering delivery for tues morning,the phone at the moment is only available on o2,phones for u saying now they dont know but said the contract for the phone will be £250 for the phone £35 a month,250 xnet min with 50text,but the 1st 3 months being double but if your an existing customer you can have the phone for £199.99,i phoned an indepandent phone shop near me,they offered the same deal but £350 for the handset :eek: shocking this phone is gonna be so exclusive, :thumbsup:

7. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    I liked the 8910, I dont see why this new one is so expensive when its hardly made out of expensive metal.

8. Mossyman

Mossyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kourosh,

Can you post the links to the relevant sites?

TA!

Mossyman :D

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    IMO the initial impression was it was a standard nokia with a third party slide cover.its bloody massive when the slide is down,134 grams :eek: half a mega pixel camera :eek: why even put one on ? that bloody power putton placement :thumbsdow only 64mb internal memory and no mention of wether thats expandable or not :eek: jesus my d500 has more than that.the buttons on the keypad dont exactly look to big either (remember the keypad on the 8850 :mad: :mad: )looks like nokia our still dragging there heels :rolleyes: and this is one of there "top end" phones :suicide: this has 8910i written all over it.

10. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
  11. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

the casing is scratch resistant and so is the screen,the glass used on the screen is the same used on expensive watches,if your after a phone for features then dont go for this phone the money your paying is for the class and its nice having a phone that not every tom dick and harry has its about time nokia bought out an expensive phone,people are not forced to by you pay for the disign same as B&O crt tv's alot of the inside is phillips but you pay for disign :thumbsup:

12. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    the phone actually slides up the screen goes up with the camera hidden inside,as is said earlier this phone is pushed more at the executive market the company directors and so on,if you wanna be different and not want features then this is the one but if you wanna be the same as every 1 else then get a phone that is free but i bet you will change your mind once you see the phone
    and always nice to see a fellow liverpool supporter very true what you say you forgot to mention the classic cup final against arsenal when owen scored twice :clap: :clap: :clap:

13. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    found this review with 2 videos.

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2005/nokia8800-en.shtml

i love the idea of a business executive phone and i dont mind paying the price (i payed £500 on contract for a p900 on the very first day) but this just looks like a lot of cash for not much technology imo and its not (again IMO) the best looking phone either,i think the silver would be much nicer in matte or gloss black.taken from a review "The battery is 600-mAh Li-Ion providing on average two days of not very active use an hour or an hour and a half of talking" thats about what i get out of a d500 or k700. if i had to pick a nokia im looking forward to its the n90 :devil:

ps never mentioned the fa cup as it wasnt the best game in the worl up untill mikeys 2 goals that is ;)

14. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    It more a fashion accessory,as long as there are people like me and you chucking money at phones they will produce them,ive always had 2 contracts running even 3 last year,cant help my self getting new phones all the time,cause i would rather pay more money to have less people owning the phone its the same with clothes if you wanna be different you have to pay the $.As long as the casing it pretty tough and dont scratch silver will look good cause silver always looks expensive the problem with black is it shows greasey finger marks worse than the silver,and to be honest ive never been one for features on phones ive just wanted them to look good and make calls,even the n90 looks good i dont really need mp3 on my phone i work for sony anyway so they sort me out on that side,them pictures are really good,i want it now :(

15. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i know where your coming from but i threw money at the p900 because i had never seen anything like it and it was genuinley pushing phone boundarys but this isnt doing anything that other phones cant do.

i know black shows up finger prints more but if it a fashion phone the surely if it looks better then thats the colour to have it because after all its a visual phone not a technology one ;)

i loved my 6210 as it just did what a phone should do,it had battery power to last decades and did the stuff right,this on the other hand is a jack of some trades and a master of none.why even bother putting a half mega pixel cam on there ? lets get the size down and take the cam off.

i will try and get a look at it in the flesh next week but in all honesty i cant see me dumping my d500 the current king of over sold mobiles) for this :thumbsdow

16. dayna62

dayna62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just have to have it because it will be exclusive, i had the 8910i when that came out, and even now people think it's a superb phone. i wouldn't have been bothered if the 8800 came without a camera. if i want to take good digi photos i use my sony 5 mega pixel cybershot. i just want to have a nice phone, i got the V3 when it first came out, and that was exclusive for all of about 10 days, when every tom, dick and harry had one, "cause it was free", £40-£50 a month on contract but it's free.
    i just hope the 8800 remains as exclusive as the 8910i, if it doesn't, i'm sure i've got my old motorola startac somewhere, know you dont see many of them about do you?

17. Mossyman

Mossyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Kourosh! I have one on order from Buzz Mobile so fingers crossed!!!
    Mossyman :)

18. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

true about the camera they shouldnt have even bothered with a camera :suicide:,but as we where saying they are trying to push the phone to a different market the buisness men dont have the need for gadgets on the phone they just want something expensive and cool looking im sure we will find out soon if its a waist of money or not.Watch this space ;) .............................. :clap:

19. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    good man im sure we wont be dissapointed :clap: :clap:

20. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    i remember the startac(giving my age away now :rotfl: )i remember the first 1 i saw in the flesh :eek: they where about £500 or more sim free.your right about the camera bit and the v3 thats why i got rid of my v3 your even seeing young teenagers with them now :rolleyes: i do hope the price stays the same for the nokia then at least in 6 or 7 months when the next flash phone comes out we wont loose so much money on the phone ;)

21. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i loved my startac,infact that was my first phone on contract and it was free :) it had been out a while when i got it but nothing could touch it for looks :)

imho the 8910 was a horrific phone.tiny screen,not even a colour screen,worse buttons and no polyphonic :eek: and who it was aimed at was anyone`s guess.ofcourse a 5megapixel camera will destroy cam phones but i used my cam phone recently to take pics of a car crash that wasnt my fault and forwarded the pics onto the fella (you dont carry your camera around as much as you do your phone ;) ) but i do also understand where your coming from.

out of 10 what would you give this phone look wise ? as to me it looks,well not ordinary but its no where near the initial impression i got of say a V3 for looks which was something truelly beautifull (shame yet again it was murdered by a easy price tag and no exclusivity) but i would give it a 6.

22. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    out of ten i would give it 10 but i would give the v3 10 as well as you said at the time of the v3 realease it was a truely stunning phone,have you seen the v6 thats a nice looking phone as well

23. Mossyman

Mossyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From Carphone Warehouse. Cancelled order with Buzz as they were £70 more! :eek:

Roll on tomorrow!

Mossyman :clap:

24. Biglad_UK

Biglad_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Are you getting it from a specific store or on line ?

How much, which tarrif, Which network, is it locked ?

I need more information :rotfl:

25. Mossyman

Mossyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O2 250, on contract for £235 (I think). Very much doubt it's unlocked.
    Ordered in store and SHOULD be delivered to my home tomorrow.

Cheers! :smashin:

26. Biglad_UK

Biglad_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Which store ? Can I walk into any store and order one ?

There is nothing on the website

27. Mossyman

Mossyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just went to my local store .... just ask .... only available at present to people who have had CPW contracts previously.
    Cheers!

Mossyman :hiya:

28. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    :clap: went in phones4 u today some stores should have had them if not today in tommorow :clap:

29. JustinP

JustinP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I’ve got one, I picked it up on Saturday.

Its great, the screen is really sharp, the stainless finish is excellent, the camera is not bad either. I have come from an Orange SPVC500 so I will miss the windows interface and full web browser, but after using he 8800 for a couple of days the C500 looks old fashioned.

I would like to know how to configure the Instant messenger to connect to msn messenger, but I don’t think it will be possible.

Syncing with the PC over Bluetooth is easy and 100% reliable even better than window Microsoft’s active sync.

The cradle is gorgeous, its stainless steel and the base lights up blue.

But sadly there are problems.

1) The phone has rebooted maybe 5 times since Saturday, mind you I haven’t put it down yet.

2) Bluetooth headset is not reliable, it connects to the headset but does not actually switch the audio or control channels to the headset, if you look in the active Bluetooth devices menu, it shows the headset so it must be a software bug at the application layer. I’ve tried it with a Nokia hs-4w and a Sony Ericsson HBH-600 headset.

I always get phones as soon as the come out, and the last 5 have all needed a firmware update soon after release so I’m expecting an update soon, hurry up Nokia.

Despite the glitches I love the phone and I would not change it.

Cheers

JustinP

30. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i wouldnt get to downhearted mate the last few phones i have had have all needed updates (seems to be a little to commonplace now imo) i dont like the bluetooth problem though as this is by far the most used feature on any of my 3 previous phones and need it to be rock solid in terms of connection.

the rebooting probelm happened on a gd87 i had and could quite possibley be tricky to pick up on in the quality controll process but there is no excuse IMO for this bluetooth problem.seems to me bluetooth is more of a hassle than a feature as my d500 can be a nightmare as could my p900 when it came to headsets and connectivity in general.