1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia 7650 connection problems

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Karma, May 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have owned the 7650 for several months now. Recently the phone started to lock up and produce "kernel error" messages on screen.

Since then although it connects to my laptop and can be used as a modem using infrared. It has stopped talking to PC Suite (Nokia supplied software) that allows it to synchronise calendar and diary information, and back up data to my PC.

I have spoken to Nokia. After many calls they have told me that it is a "known problem and there is no scheduled fix"

I told them that this means I have a phone, that due to a manufacturing fault, the phone does not have the functions as described when bought and thereason for the purchase. They have referred me too the dealer from whom it was purchased as my contract is with them.

The dealer has been excellent, trying different software on my PC and loading different firmware onto the phone.

Nothing has worked. The dealer has been very good through all this, but ultimately has to take responsibility (unfair though I feel this is). I have paid for a phone with a specific facility which it now does not have.

I would like to push Nokia into taking responsibility and have been talking to Trading Standards and the Consumers Association.

As Nokia have said it was a known problem, I was wondering if anyone on these pages has experienced anything like this?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I've had this error too, but it was put right by reloading the firmware (version 4.39) then i backed up the phone while it was still "virgin", only after i had backed it up did i start loading software back onto it. i've not had the problem since. You should alsdo bear in mind that some of the software around is not very good and can screw the phone up. i suggest that if you are having the firmware reloaded that you send it to a reputiable accredited dealer not one of those phone shops that you find on the stratford road (your a brummie i'm sure you know what i mean)

hope that helps

Gary

3. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for that Gary.

I have had the firmware upgraded to V4.39 like you, though i understand V4.46 is out now.

It was done by the Carphone Warehouse under warranty. But sadly the problem remains.

I was told i would lose all the data on the phone as part of the upgrade. but strangely this has all been left intact, including texts that i have received.

The problen remains, and the phone resolutely refuses to talk to PC Suite. Nokia UK are having a further attempt at getting head office in Finlamd to work on a fix.

The only software on the phone is Active Desk, which i understand is Nokia approved.

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    karma, if the firmware had been done it WOULD have rewritten the phone, it has too as it rewrites at what i can only call BIOS level. i dont think that it been done correctly. if you can do without your phone for a few days send it to "communicade". they are the company that did mine they are based in cambridge (not sure of address, sorry) look them up and give them a call and see what they think, they are very good.

Gary