1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia 7600 Signal/Network problem

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by adrian3221, May 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I've just bought a Nokia 7600 which I've had unlocked. I am using my Orange contract sim but I am struggling to get a signal. I believe it may have something to do with the phone currently using the UMTS network. I would like to use the GSM 900/1800 network but the option to switch networks in the phone is disabled. Any ideas??

2. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Get this problem at work all the time, we're yet to figure out a solution although it doesn't seem to effect phones with the latest firmware quite as badly.

3. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    How do I go about getting the latest firmware onto my phone?I've had the phone for three days now and to be honest think Im gonna have to sell it because I just cant get any signal. Very frustrating as its a pretty cool phone.

4. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    To anyone having this same problem, took my phone to a small shop on Oxford Street and they managed to sort it for £20.00. Phone now works perfectly! Shop is called Extra Mobile @ 41 Oxford St.

5. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Firmware flashed?

6. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Yep, flashed the phones memory which restored the option to select GSM mode only.

7. dert

dert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with signal is usually associated with those purchased from the carphone warehouse as they placed their own firmware on them which hides...if memory serves me correctly menu 7 which allows the phone to lock to a 2G signal. Due to this menu being hidden the unlocked phone will work with a 2G sims, but when you move into an area where the other networks (orange, vodafone, etc) are testing 3G the phone will try to lock to a 3G signal, which of course your normal sims cannot do and therefore the signal drops.

Best way around this...as already mentioned is to get the phone flashed to remove the Carphone warehouse firmware.

I have heard it mentioned that if you have purchased from the CPW you can take it back and insist the menu is re-instated, however, I know no-one who has tried this. The other option is to take it to a Nokia Service Centre and tell them it appears to be freezing when your using it and they will usually flash the firmware for free.