1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nokia 7600 and 3 network

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by waz2004, Nov 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am considering getting a nokia 7600 on 3 network.

Can the nokia 7600 be unlocked after the contract is finished?

How do you rate 3 network these days? I know they were a joke few years ago but have they improved since then?

2. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I can't help you with the nokia, but i have recently moved to three from O2. The network itself has been fine, i have no need for video calls whatsoever and due to my location, the phone is always roaming, therefore using the O2 network which is superb where i live.

When i got into full 3 signal area it swaps over without me noticing (tho have to admint never whilst i've been on a call, i.e. when travelling)

I have not had to ring up customer services yet! And hope i never have to!

I got one of the 12 months 1/2 price line rental deals online and for the price it is unbeatable. Just wish i'd have gone for the next tariff up as 500mins and 100texts goes a lot quicker than i realised!

Hope this helps and if you get a 7600 or try one, let me know what u think as i hate my NEC E616V, but its got bluetooth!

Cheers

3. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    monkeynuts

where did you order your phone from?

the nokia 7600 also has bluetooth.

4. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I went through the phones4u shop online

Although i have had nothing but trouble with the highstreet stores, i thought i'd risk it.

Think The Link had the offer as well, tho ended in oct, but i was told they would prob just extend it again.

Thats why i'm tempted by a 7600 ;)

5. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi,

did you go for the 7600 in the end?As the deals are so good on this at the moment thinking about getting one?

Phil

6. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Nokia 7600 can be unlocked with a full factory reset. Normally £15-20 at your local independent mobile shop.

7. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    06/10/2004

How to get your 3Pay Nokia 7600 working as a 2G phone

It is a well known fact that the 3Pay Nokia 7600 handsets sold by Carphone Warehouse and E2Save are locked to the 3 network and that these phones can be unlocked for free online so that you can put a SIM from any network into the phone.

However, it is less well known that, regardless of what SIM you put in this phone, it has been set to always seek out a 3G signal by default and only select a 2G signal as a fall-back position if the 3G network is not available. Nokia have set these handsets to behave in this manner at the request of Hutchison 3G. This is so that Hutchison 3G can maximise their profits by ensuring that their network is always used when it's available. They have an arrangement with O2 to use their network for voice calls only in areas where their video network isn't available and the more capacity they have to "rent" off O2, the less money H3G make.

Therefore, if you try and use this handset out of the box (after unlocking it) with a 2G SIM in it your handset will seek out a 3G signal and, if one exists on your network (as it currently does on Orange & Vodafone), registration will fail as your normal 2G SIM will not have permission to access the 3G network. Unfortunately, under such circumstances, your phone will not back off to the 2G variant for your network (it seems that failure to obtain permission to access to the 3G network is not deemed to be the same as the 3G network not being available) so your handset will simply fail to work with your 2G SIM.

However, this behaviour can be changed via a HIDDEN menu option on the handset that forces the handset to only seek out and use 2G networks (again, Nokia removed this menu item at the request of H3G). To reveal the hidden menu item, you will need to get the handset factory reset. This can usually be done by a good independent mobile outlet in your area. However, if you don't know of any locally, you can also send your handset away to one of the many online mobile unlocking/repair outlets (see below).

Given the above, it would seem that you may be able to get your handset to work on TMobile and O2 (and any virtual running on either of these networks e.g. Virgin, BTMobile etc...) without the need for a factory reset as these networks don't yet have a 3G network to confuse this handset with. I haven't yet tested this theory myself. However, while this may be true, as soon as these networks switch on their 3G services your handset will cease to operate with your 2G SIM for the above-mentioned reasons. So, if you're planning on using it on one of these networks you are as well to get the handset sorted out now rather than have a shock somewhere down the line when your handset suddenly stops working just when you really needed it.

8. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    So,is the phone itself any good more for the missus than me tbh..?

Phil

9. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    It is a good phone, has mp3, video camera, bluetooth, etc. Paid £45 for mine from carphone warehouse so at that price cant go wrong. Shape takes a little getting used to though!

10. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had placed the order with E2Save. After waiting for 2 weeks i was told there is a lot of customers waiting for their nokia 7600. They have been waiting for supplies from Nokia to arrive. I therefore cancelled my order.

I was tempted to go for nokia 7600 on 3 because of the overall cost. £10/month for 12 months. Then hearing about some people complaining of dropped calls and poor reception i decided to wait and see how improved 3 have become

11. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I got one on 3 PAYG
    mine just arrived at £45 including delivery and £15 call credit
    it was a great deal, takes good photos too.

12. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    what is the reception like?

13. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I have heard it is a lot better lately,will probably go fo the lg as Carphonewarehouse just offered me to be put on a list!!No thanks says I!!Even though he then proceded to tell me 'we have hundreds in our warehouse' eerrrr then why do i have to wait?

They should not put it on the site if it is not in stock!

14. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I don't live in a 3g transmission area, so it defaults to
    using O2, so no problems at all, also no internet connection

15. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    So can anyone tell us where the 7600 is available cheap on threepay?
    I went round some phone shops out of interest and carphonewarehouse said £65 as i had to buy £15 topup on top of the £50 package price.

is it in stock online for £45 ish ?

Cheers

16. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if u have to pay £65 for 3pay then i suggest that you go to E2save website and get one for free on a 12month contract. How does £5/month for 500mins and 100 texts per month sound plus freebies. That is £60 for the year. The only drawback i can see is the wait

17. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Yes that is a great deal,unfortunately they are the sister company of carphone warehouse,so unsure wether you would actually get it!

18. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    well if you aren't in a hurry and can wait a couple of weeks then i suggest you place the order. After two or three weeks if it does not arrive then simply cancel it. If it does arrive then think of the money saved

19. bushka

bushka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered the 7600 on Wednesday night from e2save and got an e-mail today saying that it had been sent out this morning.A check on citylink website with the tracker number shows that it should be delivered on Monday.
    Hope this helps

20. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    matter of interest which tarrif did u go for?

21. bushka

bushka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Talk & text 600

22. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i take it the nokia 7600 can be reset/onlocked by nokia support centre. If so then will carphonewarehouse unlock it? According to nokia website it is listed as a nokia support centre for nottingham

23. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi waz2004

I agree that this is a good deal, but it's not as simple as it might first appear. It looks to me as though you have to pay £30 per month and then claim cashback. So provided you can afford the £30 layout each month and are prepared to wait a full year for the deal to be of any benefit you are, indeed, laughing all the way to the bank.

Best of luck to all.

24. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Agree with you but i thought you get cashback at month 6 and 12 as long as you stay on the same tarrif

25. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi waz2004,
    You are, of course, correct. So I presume when you claim your first cashback of £127.56 after six months you would use this to fuel your next six months rental at £30 but get another £127.56 after month 12. Thus you end up paying only £60 over the 12 months after your cashback and half price rental for months 1 to3. Thanks for pointing that out. I might consider the deal myself now.
    Hope that's how it works!