1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia 6610?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by kelvin, Apr 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just after a bit of advice really...

I'll be starting a new contract with O2 sometime in the next few weeks and am in the process of considering which handset to get. Much as I'd love to get the new 7250, cost is something that I need to consider and whilst looking about, I've discovered the 6610. Looks like a pretty reasonable handset - very similar to the 6100 it seems but substantially cheaper.

Anyone have any experience with this handset, encountered any problems etc?

I'm aware of it's limitations such as no bluetooth, no voice dialling etc, but TBH, there's nothing there that really worries me. I'm really after something that's small, has a colour screen, and has a decent memory for SMS messages (yes... I know I'm sad but there are some messages I like to keep!! :)) An optional camera facility is a nice option too. Are there any other handsets that I should consider? (Open to all manufacturers with the exception of SonyEricsson!)

Thanks in advance...

K.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Whats wrong with Sony Erricsson hey are great handsets!!!!
    other than nokia there are a few odities from Panasonic and Samsung, etc. T68 P800 (you cant have an SPV), 6100 shouldn't be too expensive now!!!

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I had an Ericsson T65 about a year or so again which was absolutely, the worst handset I have ever owned! It switched itself off, froze, rattled - the works. The lag on text messaging was also beyond belief (took me up to 5 minutes to write a message at times!). Ericsson told me, and every other complainant that all of the above were "features" of the phone, and thus not covered by warranty! :rolleyes: I swore after all of the problems with it that I would never buy another "Ericsson" labelled phone again :)

Harsh I know, but I can't really see that much improvement with the newer models - the lag is still there at least - once bitten twice shy and all that. I'd just rather avoid them :blush:

Cheapest I've found the 6100 is about £70 ATM - tried most of the internet sites as well as all of the high street chains and the problem I have is that I only want to pay between £25-30 p/month line rental (I'm a student so can't afford much more!). Most of the "free" deals only start with tariff's of £35 or more :(

K.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Try phones 4 u they do silly deals!!!!! The T65 experience is bad but relly its ~Nokia or SE!!!dont know what to suggest mate i have a mate at uni who works for "The link". but i can usually get a better deal than he can do out of carphone!!! PS where down south are you?

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Certainly consider the Siemens S55... imho discount all Nokias! Nokia seem to have a Micro$oftesque attitude now... their phones frequently suffer from software instability and poor build. I got fed up with them... my 6210 was my last nokia... ever! I am now on my 2nd Siemens and couldn't be happier :cool:

A good Siemens forum if you have questions

6. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The S55 is something I'll have a look at... thanks :) Thanks a lot for the link too :)

If I get a chance in the next week or so I'll more than likely spend some time wondering around some of the High St. stores to push for their best deal. I'd just like to be able to go in with a particular handset in mind really - it's been a while since I've had a Nokia so I was after some opinions on whether they're still regarded as decent phones...

Keep 'em coming! ;) :smashin:

K.

Hornydragon: I'm from Bournemouth - spend some of my week at St. Albans in Hertfordshire though for Uni :)

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK i know manager for the link in Central London so i thought that might have been some use

8. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Never mind. Thanks very much for the thought :)

9. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Where was this?

10. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    :rolleyes: Hmmm... really can't remember - sorry!

I did a search yesterday on Google for "O2 Contract Deals" and it was from a link on one of the sites that came up. I didn't make a note of the exact page as it was too expensive for what I was after.

IIRC it was a link somewhere off of this page. Sorry I can't be more specific...

K.

11. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I owned both the Nokia 6100 and Nokia 6610 for a brief period a few weeks ago. I got the 6100 on contract (Vodafone £27.98 a months), for £27 form http://www.theorder.co.uk

The 6100 was a lovely slim-line and sophisticated phone. Great build quality and was sufficiently weighty to make you feel you had something good. Features were extensive and the colour screen was a good size. I found the phone to be very slow though. This was the first incarnation and future software updates may have solved that.

The 6610 was identical in function and colour screen size. However, the menu-system was noticably faster and it had a few more novelty features such as an internal radio etc. The 6610 was quite chunky in width compared to the 6100 but was around the same height. The 6610 had great buttons though - large and white LED backlit as opposed to a turquoise colour of the 6100.

Overall, I was more impressed with the 6610 - a bit more plasticky and a bit larger but functioned better in all areas. Without a doubt the best feature of both is the internal Speakerphone. This is great for conference calls and the sound output is hard to believe!

12. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks very much Groundy - thats exactly the sort of info I was after :)

Just one thing though - that link you put in for "the order" doesn't appear to be valid :confused: I get a windown popping up telling me that the domain name has been reserved for someone else! :confused: They still around??

K.

13. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Link fixed :).

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I am not sure if it is of any use now but I picked up a 6610 from carphone Warehouse for free with a Vodafone contract (direct from the central sales office - not one of their shops which had it up for £50!!!!!). My wife uses one of these as well and it is a very good phone - my only complaint is that the colour screen looks dull - SE, Panasonic etc have a better screen imho.

15. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Well, time for a quick update... :)

Went out and got the 6610 for free on a new contract with O2 yesterday. First impressions seem very positive - the phone is easy to use, well equipped, and build quality seems to be top notch :) Only niggle so far is that the "4 way button" seems to squeak which is kinda irritating!! Still... I'm sure that will stop once it's had a bit of use.

I'd not used Nokia PC Suite before, and all I can say is that it is absolutely fantastic :) Took me all of 10 minutes to transfer all of my contacts onto the new phone, and moving pictures/tones/applications on and off of the phone is a doddle :)

So far... very happy :) :)

Thanks for all of the tips...

K.

16. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    One other thing... :blush:

Does anyone know where I can get some reasonable, free ringtones from? I can transfer anything that's a Midi file over to the phone but am having some difficulty in tracking any decent one's down.

I either get about 3000 popup windows opening, or I click on a "free tones" link to find that actually, they aint free!!! :(

Similarly, if you know of any decent picture sites then I'd be interested :)

K.

17. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't know if I should tell you seeing as you bought the N*kia :(
    Oh go on then... http://www.club-siemens.net/fun/
    :p

Siemens are great! :rotfl:

Serious credit due to Jorgen Molna and his fiancée for creating such a brill fansite!

18. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    logogo ^^^ £1.50 per logo!! :eek:

20. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on logogo i think you go to there website find the pic u want or upload then go to there wapsite on your phone chose personal wallpaper then type the 4 or 5 digit no. in to download its free

21. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Lol! :) I did seriously consider the Siemens, but the fact that the 6610 was free, and nobody was prepeared to do the same for the S55 was what swung it :( Couldn't justify paying for what differences existed (or not! ;))

Thanks for the links anywho... :smashin:

Just discovered that pictures aren't a problem - I can send any picture to my phone via the PC Suite :D - doesn't need to be a specific format or anything :) Current background is the "Sunrise" from this thread here :)

K.

22. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Missed the wap thingy... I'll have to give it a go Thanks :)

23. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rct remember if you are uploading your own pics you will be given a 4 digit no. to download it , but if some randomly types that no. in they will be able to download your pics to !!!!! so be carefull unless your misses is stunning and under standing;) ;) ;)

24. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the tip!:laugh:

I wouldn't use it for that though as I have Siemens Data Suite.