Nokia 6230 as a mp3 player/ipod subsidtute

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by andrewloves, Aug 13, 2004.

Tags:
  1. andrewloves

andrewloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I need to change my phone, and also thinking about being able to play mp3s on the move.

Don't want an ipod as I already carry too much stuff around with me.

I've already got some SD cards (being used in cameras and 'The Bug' DAB radio), so it makes sense to buy one of these Nokia 6230, which is suppose to play mp3. The 512mb cards are about £50 each.

Does anyone use this phone for this purpose? Also is the FM radio any good? :thumbsup:

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    It's not really any competition for a HD Jukebox like the iPod ... nothing like the same capacity. It would be equivalent to a solid state player however.

Since it takes memory cards - MMC up to 1GB - it actually has an advantage over many solid state players which have a fixed memory capacity.

(EDIT: you _must_ use MMC type cards as SD is NOT compatible)

Sound quality is pretty good (based on listening with the supplied headset) and compatibility with various kinds of mp3 (higher bitrates, VBR) has been flawless in my experience.

Disadvantages: Your headphone choices are going to be limited until someone comes up with a POP port adapter for normal stereo headphones (the included set with the phone are surprisingly OK though). It can be done as enthusiasts have rigged up their own and they report good results.
    Also the ergonomics of the phone's mp3 player application are pretty naff - there's a lot of fiddling about to get playlists onto the phone etc. etc. This might be improved in future firmware upgrades.
    Battery life of the phone will be impacted by heavy playback use. I heard 10 hours of playback time quoted so it would mean you'd have to recharge the phone more frequently if you were using it for music.

Overall, it costs a lot more than an equivalent solid state player but if you needed a new phone anyway then this is a very good option to kill two birds with one stone. Put it like this, if you have this phone there's very little reason to go out and get a solid state player too.

FM performance isn't too bad. Like all such devices it's pretty sensitive to the orientation of the 'antenna' (the headset cord in this case) so you can get varying results just walking around as the cord moves. If you can get the cord positioned for good reception then it sounds excellent - handy if you are sitting at a desk.

Gav

3. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have this phone and use it for the purpose you ask about. The headphones are SURPRISINGLY good given they are freebies.

The load the files straight to the card not via the cable to the phone as this takes too long.

I have had a lot of problems with the software supplies crashing out all the time and having to reinstall it.

Its a great phone though and not a bad MP3 player.

Andy

4. andrewloves

andrewloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got myself the Nokia 6230 plus a 1gig card. Very impressed with both the phone and as a mp3 player.

Only downside being that it uses MMC not CD cards. Luck camera also uses MMC as well, so that fine.

Found more forums on using the Nokia 6230 as mp3 player on: http://www.expansys.com

Thankyou for the advice.

Andrew

5. haveagoade

haveagoade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought this phone on a killer deal with orange.

If you get a 1gb card for the current £55 then its unbeatable. :)

How many pieces of equipment do you need to do all that this baby is capable of. And more importantly it does them all just so well its unbelievable. :thumbsup:

With a new 2gb mmc coming shortly then this phone is gonna just get better. :smashin:

Its video and picture abilities are far better than anything three have on their network, and hey who wants video calling anyway. :nono:

My deal with oraange is as good as any three deal now availble. :laugh:

How does nokia fit it all into such a small phone is mindblowing. :clap: :thumbsup:

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,833
    The only drawback I've come across is a tendancy for the MP3 player to crash (with my 256MB PQI card). The music stops and the phone restarts (but doesn't ask for a PIN etc.)
    Can be a bit irritating - might be the card or the files. I have about 40 tracks and just use random play. If you want to use your MP3 player a lot then a dedicated hard disk model would be worth the extra cost but for occasional music on the move (and not having another box to carry) the 6230 is very hard to beat.

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use mine as an MP3 player all the time (and sometimes to watch the odd O.C. episode, lol). I have a 1GB MMC and modded the headset so I can use any headphones with it. The quality is acceptable - on a par with cheap, dedicated mp3 players - but the software has very limited functionality. Don't bother trying to find a J2ME replacement; Nokia's MMAPI implementation is absolutely abysmal. Another thing I've noticed is that there's a 100 file-per-folder limit on the MMC. I'm using firmware v4.28 - perhaps a firmware update is required, or the card needs to be reformatted in a card reader.

As an unexpected bonus, I've been plugging it into my car stereo and it seems to work as a passable hands-free car phone!

8. culpepper

culpepper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using this phone for 8 months now and have had no problems whatsoever.

If you want to get more music on the card then you should encode the files as mp3pro which is about half the size of normal mp3.

Cheerz

9. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,833
    As an update there are a couple of things I've noticed. I get more crash/restarts using the handsfree from my 7250 than the supplied ones which fit better. I also get more when the battery is low. My feeling is that the older side entry handsfree are a bit loose and a slight break in contact upsets the phone. The supplied 'straightout' cable is much tighter. Likewise it finds running the MP3 player and the phone network quite taxing when the battery is low.

10. flapcats

flapcats
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a kingmax gig and the chip is fast and fine via my card-reader.

However, the nokia 6230 mp3 player seems to be very slow at loading in the playlist (20 seconds to load the mp3 player the first time it's turned on) but quick after that.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong:

All the tracks have to be in the root of the chip - the mp3 player can't 'see' the other folders (this is a real pain in the prdel, tell me if you know how to get around this)

The chip must be renamed to get the mp3 player to access it.

If you want more than 100 tracks in a folder you have to reformat the chip on a PC to FAT 32, not just FAT.

Albums that start '01. song name - artist name.mp3' '02... etc get mixed up with other albums in the playlist (ie, alphabetically)

There are no other mp3 players available for the 6230 (... yet - perhaps a Symbian series 60 player would work but can't find one that's compatible)

Headphone (mini-jack) pop-port adapter can be found at expansys (http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=EXPANSYS_NOKIA25ADAPTER) but they have no release-date for the product) - I'd buy it IMMEDIATELY. I expect they're seeing what the demand is before going into production or something - so please register your interest. I've got some nice banded headphones and the mp3 players output is pretty good quality so It'd be great to have those plugged in for journeys etc.

If you find any of these wrong, or new SW/firmware is out PLEASE post it!
    Thanks.

11. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's for 2.5mm plugs. Aren't most headphone mini-jacks 3.5mm?
    And I guess that it won't be 'hands-free' either.
    This sounds like a better solution.... IMO

12. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    2.5mm jacks aren't stereo either (although if you look at that picture it does have all the pins required for a stereo signal - weird).

This is the thing I knocked up:

[​IMG]

The heatshrink is heavy duty adhesive stuff so it holds everything together rigidly. You can buy more professional looking efforts (lol) on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42409&item=6344644062&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42409&item=6343477139&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

flapcats, the mp3-in-root-only problem is a pain. It's probably something they can fix quite easily with a firmware update but won't ever get round to it. :rolleyes: 6230 doesn't support Symbian and there's no chance of a J2ME player being developed by a third party either. The Series 40 phones don't support MMAPI comprehensively enough to make it possible and a plain Java app will just be too slow.

13. genghis

genghis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MuFu, what are the specific MMAPI limitations on the Series 40 phones? Can you point me to a good site or forum? Thanks.

14. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  15. genghis

genghis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Makes sense for users who are satisfied with the preinstalled native apps. Thanks for the link. Can you recommend a good J2ME phone with more comprehensive MMAPI support and which can play 44 Khz stereo? Preferably not a Symbian phone.

16. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Motorola are supposed to have a good J2ME implementation (they co-founded the spec). Don't know specific models, sorry, but this is what was mentioned to me when I looked into getting a 3rd party J2ME player for my phone.

17. genghis

genghis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Maybe I'll take a look at the Motorola e1000. Did you find a good third party J2ME player?

18. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nope. It's an impossibility; the API support just isn't sufficient.

19. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I'm thinking about getting the various bits to turn my 6230 into a portable mp3 player. Was going to grab a USB cable but am thinking about getting an all in one card reader instead.

Seen the modded headphone adapters on Ebay so going to plump for one of them (unless anyone here has any other suggestions!). Few thoughts though:

Was told today you can get some decent jukebox software off Nokia's site (and no doubt from the various software CDs you can pick up) that can organise and create playlists. Would this get past the problem of all MP3 needing to be in the root directory?

Also is the sound quality on a par with, say, your bog standard CD player, nothing flashy? Ideally looking for it to output a decently loud sound, have got some Fontopia headphones to the crisper the better I say!

20. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    My C500 is brill for MP3 playback - only downer is it only takes MiniSD cards. 512mb is enough for me anyway, i sync a couple of times a week with WMP10 anyway to get new tunes onto it :)

Has a normal mic + headphones 2.5mm plug, so you can either buy a converter and remove it for calls, or use this doobery http://pc-mobile.net/spvaa.htm

21. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use the 6230 in my car with a hands free kit. Probably a silly question but....the kit is set up so that a call goes through my car speakers - I have a 8 speaker system - and on the phone setting my head unit lets me alter balance and fade etc. Any idea if its possible to use the hands free to play back music from the mmc , or will it only work for a phone call ?

22. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Might sound like a silly question, but have you tried playing an mp3 with the phone in the cradle?

23. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes - I've tried to play a couple of tracks from the music files - it only seems to play audio for ringing tone and during the call , which is a shame as the quality is pretty good.

24. Xad

Xad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Nokia 6230 support MP3pro?

25. timtastic

timtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://mobile.brando.com.hk/EarPhoneAdapter.php

The Pop to 3.5mm adapter is cheap and works like a charm. The only problem I'm having is, since I just use my normal stereo headphones, I cant talk on the phone while listening to music because I have no mic. The nokia doesn't seem to allow me to use the phone's internal mic with the headphones plugged in.

It's a pain in the arse when someone calls because that adapter really locks in there (good thing in my pocket, bad thing when I get a call)

Does anyone know...

A) A setting I can change on the phone to activate the internal mic with the Pop port in use?

or...

B) A simple (and small) solution to add a mic to my connection?

or...

C) Some good in-ear stereo headphones with mic attached?

26. dudleyit

dudleyit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  27. timtastic

timtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the ultimate solution for me:

- Jabra C120s in-ear stereo headset -
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90147554

- Nokia PopPort 2.5mm Adapter -
    http://www.altwireless.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=altwire&Product_Code=HA02165

I'm very pleased with the Jabra headset. The microphone works well, including the button which allows you to pick up calls. Some other great uses I have discovered for the button: cycling through radio station presets and even advancing to the next song in the music player! (Sometimes you have to press it more than once for the action to register) This ensures that I never have to take the phone out of my pocket (cord length is just about perfect) when I'm on the go.

I might recommend trying to find a different Pop Port adapter because the male end of the Jabra headphones doesn't fit properly into the jack. I fixed the problem with a bit of tape.

Make sure you get a 2.5mm Pop Port adapter if you get the Jabra headset, because even though it includes a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter, the microphone will not function in a setup involving both at Pop-port to 3.5mm adapter and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm.

One more thing - I am not sure if it is the headset or the 2.5 mm adapter, but there is a slight ticking noise in the headphones when going from silence to sound. This doesn't happen with radio because there is a constant white noise, but it does with music and video, which can get kind of annoying with certain types of audio (audio books may be a little troublesome), but work fine with most music. Also, if you leave the left earbud in when nothing is playing, the ticking is constant. I'm sure I will learn to ignore it soon enough but it hasn't been a huge issue.

Now that I use my Nokia 6230 as an all in one MP3 player, radio, and video device, there's never a dull moment in my commute. It's awesome.

28. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I have an O2 XDA2s (Pocket PC with built in phone) I use a 1Gb SD card (£40 if you shop around) and normally fit 10-15 full albums at 128k WMA. Pocket PC phones have Win Media player built in and are ideal or use as an MP3 player as well.

Only thing you need to buy is a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack adaptor then you can plug decent headphones in aswell

Check out the I-Mate jam/MDA Compact as well as this Pocket PC is barely any bigger than a normal phone.

29. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
  30. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146