Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - Discussion Thread Part II

n ot sure but i think this may be an issue caused by the T-Mobile custom firmware.

ok,
so could i use a unbranded custom firmware straight away on to the phone,
or would i need to do something to the firmware or downgrade before i try it out....

I have tried to upgrade my firmware but the phone says "No update is available" currently my firmware is V20.

I have tried to upgrade my firmware but the phone says "No update is available" currently my firmware is V20.

What network provided your phone? If you are running branded firmware (i.e. what comes as standard on network branded phones) then the network itself has to authorise and release firmware updates.

So while SIM-Free, unbranded handsets may have an update available, it is often some weeks or months after before the branded versions are released... if at all.

What network provided your phone? If you are running branded firmware (i.e. what comes as standard on network branded phones) then the network itself has to authorise and release firmware updates.

So while SIM-Free, unbranded handsets may have an update available, it is often some weeks or months after before the branded versions are released... if at all.

Thanks for reply :)

HHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Can someone help me I have 5800 on Orange and when I try to update software it says no update available, software it shows as running is V11.0.009 !!!

As you can see I am no where near the V20 the people are now updating and moving on:lease:

FW v11 is the consumer release version prior to v20 (there was no version 12, 13 etc) so it's not quite as bad as you may think. IIRC v11 was far more stable than 20 on my phone (and v10 which is what mine came shipped with). Maybe this is why Orange hasn't released 20 to you. The most recent version is 21 fixes the bugs from 20 - I wouldn't be suprised if that's the next version made available to you...

Could always try debranding?

I have just updated today, got version 21 now. Still cant connect to wifi though

Vodafone still haven't released v21 OTA, it's getting a little bit irritating

Can anyone help me or give me advice,my phone just all of a sudden has lost its signal,there is no bars on the screen now worked fine earlyier today..

I am using o2 sim card any idea why could have lost the signal,other mobiles int he house work ok so cant be network problem.

Google is your Best Friend,
just being googling a answer for my question,
and found one straight away,

also found the following software -
unlock tool,
firmware modding tool,
Sim unlock tool,

and how to replace certain files so no certificate error...

so far tested with 1 app which wouldn't work before "certificate error"
but now fully working...

Orange have released V21 firmware over the past couple of days, for anyone that is interested :)

Finally all Sorted,
and i am really shocked at how good this phone is,

Also Bought Garmin XT for the phone,
and my bother wants me to set it up for him when he gets back home,

am not sure but i think it said S60 v3 on the box,
and now from googling the net,
i come across few sites where ppl have had problems installing the software onto there phone,

anyone here using Garmin XT

Does it matter if the software is s60 v3 while the 5800 is a s60 v5,
i dont have the box in front of me or the phone,
going to be home in a hour so will be trying it out then,

i checked with Garmin and all there said is the new update 5.050 fixes the touchscreen problem with the 5800,
and update once i have installed onto the phone
i think the version i got from them is 5.0,

so install the software and then update i presume,

also do you have to do GPS updates like on Windows mobile phones,
or does the GPS always updates itself???

the nokia came with a 8GB memory card so i rather keep that inside then the memory card that came with the Garmin software,

can i copy the whole thing over or need to run the software first...

Last edited:
installed Garmin XT last night,
got a file from Garmin so setup was a breeze......

Orange have released V21 firmware over the past couple of days, for anyone that is interested :)

I checked this on the nokia site and it's listed as available for my phone but the nokia update software won't install. It keeps saying vital components missing and telling me to install it again so I do and it says it's repaired but then I get the vital components message again. I've uninstalled it and restarted my computer and tried installing it again half a dozen times and it just won't have it. Is anyone else getting this???:confused::confused:

Edit: arrg - transferred a few music tracks and a video - all play fine in iTunes but on the music I get 'cannot play file is corrupted' and the video plays sound only :-( Grrr there's a long way to go to get iPod ergonomics... these days I'm expecing things to just work!!) or am I asking too much!?

Did you buy these on iTunes?

I'm no expert on iTunes but I wonder if you can play iTunes bought tracks on a non-Apple machine. I know you can licence them to something like 3 other devices, but maybe they all have to be Macs.

And what format are you exporting/saving as? I've always copied files as MP3 to any of my other phones (including my current Nokia 6500) and not had any probs.

I hope this won't be too much of an issue as I'm getting my new 5800 tomorrow. Hopefully I won't be back here too often. I just hope the battery life is better than my woeful time I get on my 6500 slider.

Ok... so my 1st question here.

I've only ever had a standard phone so I'm a complete noob to using the phone for interweb, email etc.

I'm just on a basic £20 a month package with Voda... no data allowance.
If I download phone updates from Nokia will I get charged from Voda for this?

If so... is there another way to update the phone via a Mac/PC.

Ditto for games and applications... can I download games via my Mac and then copy them to the phone.

Cheers

Chris

Fellas I need help!!! Im currently running on fw v21 and im on t mobile, Ive been trying to get into the ovi store but im having no luck. I have set up an account on the ovi website and I have synced my phone with it but im not getting the ovi icon in the download section of the phone even after i refresh and when i type store.ovi.com in the address bar it goes through all the connection process but then the screen seems to lock up and go no further, I also get the little padlock symbol at the top??? what am I doing wrong???? please help me sort this out, i want to get into that store!!!!

I am thinking of buying this phone on PAYG.
Best deal i can find is from dialaphone on O2 @£185.
The problem is i'm on t-mobile PAYG and don't want to change my number or network.
Does anyone know if dialaphone/ O2 provide the phone unlocked? If so will everything just work if I put in my t-mobile sim?

Sorry for the n00b questions.....

Fellas I need help!!! Im currently running on fw v21 and im on t mobile, Ive been trying to get into the ovi store but im having no luck. I have set up an account on the ovi website and I have synced my phone with it but im not getting the ovi icon in the download section of the phone even after i refresh and when i type store.ovi.com in the address bar it goes through all the connection process but then the screen seems to lock up and go no further, I also get the little padlock symbol at the top??? what am I doing wrong???? please help me sort this out, i want to get into that store!!!!
you can manually install the ovi store as an application like i did

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom