• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nokia 5800 v iPhone v HTC. Which one?

Runyak

Standard Member
Good day trusted AVForummers. :hiya:
I want one of the above phones, but can't decide which. All seem to have their benefits of course, and also their flaws.
My main reasons for having one of these phones are:

Internet access
A 'proper' easy to navigate internet browser with a screen that can be considered suitable for viewing web pages properly and not a compromise.
Wi-Fi connectivity
Ease of use. Whatever I get, my wife will also get so it needs to be easy enough for us both to use out of the box!

The camera is NOT a consideration. Camera phones are all rubbish.
Large in-built/supplied memory also not that important as cards are so cheap these days

And what's the score with the GPS? Is it full blown like you would get on your TomTom or just maps to show you where you are? I.E., no navigation as such.

Are there other phones I should also be looking at, and why?

As always, thanks in advance for your advice.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Welcome to AVForums :hiya:

You've picked three great phones there, but each have their Pros and Cons. They have all been discussed in great detail in various threads already, so please take some time to explore the search function and see what you find. This will hopefully highlight the good, bad and ugly of each phone :)

My personal opinion... is the Magic and the iPhone are the two to beat at the moment. Everything you have mentioned they excel at.

The only exception is your reference to 'proper' internet browsing, as neither support Flash content. The first phone to feature Flash support will be the Nokia N97 that is due for release in the not too distant future, so that might be a consideration for you?

Otherwise, have a search through the existing answers to this question and comparison and see what you find :)

Runyak

Standard Member
Welcome to AVForums :hiya:

You've picked three great phones there, but each have their Pros and Cons. They have all been discussed in great detail in various threads already, so please take some time to explore the search function and see what you find. This will hopefully highlight the good, bad and ugly of each phone :)

My personal opinion... is the Magic and the iPhone are the two to beat at the moment. Everything you have mentioned they excel at.

The only exception is your reference to 'proper' internet browsing, as neither support Flash content. The first phone to feature Flash support will be the Nokia N97 that is due for release in the not too distant future, so that might be a consideration for you?

Otherwise, have a search through the existing answers to this question and comparison and see what you find :)

Cheers Rob. :thumbsup:
I've been coming here for years, but having not been on for some time, my account expired I think, and I have no idea what email address it was registered to!
I'll have a look round, but I think you've already confirmed what was already apparent that this is basically a two horse race.
Flash is not massively important. In fact, it may be an advantage when it comes to page loading times?

RobM

Distinguished Member
I don't know about it being an advantage... but I don't see it as much of a disadvantage. I guess it depends on the type of content you browse really.

Bear in mind that many phones these days come with the excellent YouTube application built in, so one of the biggest uses of Flash is already catered for.

For web use, which seemed to be a high priority for you, the Magic and iPhone are on par with each other. There is little to separate them.

The Magic is quicker, it renders pages faster over WiFi and over the mobile networks.
The iPhone has multi-touch which offers a different approach to zooming in/out.

There is little to separate them, so concentrate on the other aspects of the phone and rest assured that the web browsing bit is well covered.

Might I throw another option into this debate.... the HTC Touch HD. It's Windows Mobile based, which can be a bit Marmite, but is a superb device with a huge screen. Something to read up on perhaps...

jonas000

Established Member
omnia hd :)

benhaha85

Prominent Member
I'd go for the 5800. It's not as well put together as the other 2 but it's far far cheaper and the web brower supports flash.

As for sat nav, this phone has a-gps, and I believe recently there has been a mobile version of garmin released for the 5800. You can always get nokia maps (which does the same thing) but I'm not sure how good it is.

Although it seems like you've already ruled it out, I'd go into a shop and have a play, you may be pleasantly surprised.

(Btw I'm not a fanboy, I've only owned the nokia and I love it!)

norderney

Established Member
How do the screens on these SmartPhones perform outdoors?

iPhone
HTC Touch Pro 2
Nokia N97

Are you able to see the screens ok in full daylight? I have a problem with my laptop where on a sunny day it is very difficult to see the screen due to light reflections.

One my main reasons for getting a SmartPhone is to be able to access the internet while outside.

Thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom