1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia 5100/Siemens S55

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Dazed, May 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had to buy a new mobile after my 13 month old, Isabella, trashed my trusty old Siemens s35.

I love Siemens phones - the operating system is by far the best I've come across (why can't other people just copy it - it's so simple and intuitive) so I thought I'd get a new Siemens, the S55 looked just the job - all I can say is wow what a phone -it comes with a camera which is a nice bonus and seemed to have oodles of memory for the resulting pictures. The revised menu system is even better being icon driven rather than list driven. The styling is more professional/business like than many of the other manufacturers esp Nokia. However I exchanged it for a Nokia 5100. Why?

It was just too small and light at 84g - half the time I had to check it was still in my pocket, it also felt very fragile compared to the supremely robust S35 - and if Izzy could trash that then she would make short work of the S35.

The Nokia 5100 is meant for active people - it looks pretty bomb proof, is splash resistant and looks fairly "bouncable". It's got the typical cruddy Nokia OS but a much better screen than the disappointingly poor (256 colour, pretty low res) S55 screen. One thing the 5100 has that I've never seen on any other phone is an SPL meter - weird - I'm not sure how "usable" it is though.

If you want a smart "business" phone with an excellent OS, seemingly ultimately configurable and with picture messaging capabilities (but why the poor screen Siemens?) then definitely go for the S55 - it truely is a wonderful phone.

If you want a phone that will bounce and looks pretty "drool" proof get the 5100.

Overall I'm happy with my choice, if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I looked at the 5100 a week or so back and was impressed at how "sturdy" it looked :)

One question though where does the "torch" come out of - I was intrigued at the time - does the screen act as the light source??!!

[mutter] Torch on a phone... whatever next... [/mutter] ;)

K.

3. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes the torch:cool:

There are two white LED's on the top of the phone - quite near to the power switch - they're surprisingly bright.

Other weird features are a thermometer with on screen display (currently 26c in the office - although it warms up when you use the phone) and a calorie counter which works out how many calories you've burned depending on your weight etc and activities you've performed - I haven't looked at this at all.

The ring tones (polyphonic) are pretty good too - better than the standard ones on the s55 but you can't record something yourself like you can on the siemens which I thought was a pretty cool feature - being a noob to all this new generation mobile phone stuff