Nokia 3650

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Craig Atkins, Apr 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Craig Atkins

Craig Atkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have any opinions on this phone?

I need to upgrade, and I've been looking at a few ideas...

I like the 7650, due to it's Symbian/Java capabilites, polyphonic tones, camera, organiser functions, but the size is too deep for my liking..
    I like the Orange SPV, especially the mp3/video bits, but don't like the fact it's on Orange, and the fact that the 'Pocket Phone' OS starts chugging, meaning the phone has to be re-booted.

I saw the 3650 a few months ago, and it seemed to do everything I wanted:
    Symbian/Java
    Bluetooth (full profile?)
    GPRS
    MMS
    Polyphonic tones
    Video capture
    Photo capture

Is it as good as it sounds on paper?
    Does it support upgradeable memory/memory cards?
    How much is in the phone as standard?

Any other suggestions of good phones at a reasonable price point (not over £150.00)??

The phone needs to be on Vodafone...

Your ideas are appreciated :D
    Thanks!

Craig

2. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 3650 sound better than the 7650. The main difference are that the camera is slightly better and you can upgrade the storage capability using an MMC card.

The only problem with this phone is that it doesn't hav as much 'RAM' as the 7650. This doesn't sound too bad, but theres some games and apps out there which needs all of this and refuse to work on the 3650.

Also i'm not keen on the aesthetics of the 3650, i dont think i could get used to the circular design of the key pad- oh and its slightly longer than the 7650- but thinner.

I think the 3650 has most of the bluetooth profiles including the headset one- which the 7650 doesn't

Hope thats some help for you. I'm biased for the 7650 by the way coz i've got one. :D

You could always have a look at the ericsson p800, i don't know too much on that, but someone else here might....... :rolleyes:

Spunky

3. erw

erw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a 3650 a few days ago and would agree with what spunky said mostly....

It is shorter than the 7650 (when the 7650 is open) and also lighter. I think the battery life may be better. Tho I may be wrong.

Not sure about the ram, have had it error when zooming into a picture (which I don't think the 7650 could do) but if you just do it again it has always done it (it reconfigures the RAM in the background).

It has upgradeable memory cards unlike the 7650.

It is quite fast- good for java games.

The round keypad really worried me, but I am rapidly getting used to it. In the long run I think the wider spaced keys will allow me to text faster with fewer mistakes!

Check out

http://mobile.burn.com/review.jsp?Page=8&Id=230

Or you could wait for a ericsson610. Tho at the moment it is a lot slower than the 3650...

4. Jamsie

Jamsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your looking for cheap MMC cards for your 3650, head over to www.7dayshop.com, you can pick up a 32Mb card for around £14 including P&P.

I havn't got a 3650 yet, my existing contract runs out the end of may, so i'm doing my homework now in preparation!

james.

5. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Superb phone.

Try as i did i just could not have the SPV in my life any longer. Though it's a fantastic piece of kit with some excellent features, the platform is very much early days - as the crashes, glitches ect really drag it's enjoyment factor and user satisfaction down somewhat.

I sold it and now have a 3650, and i'm chuffed. Never been one for all the toys before the SPV, but the Nokia has everything i need, and retains my fave part of the SPV - WAV's!! Yes, just transfer those real music clips to the card and hey presto, heads turning as that crazy Junior Senior tune starts playing. It wears off after about a week, but still fab fun.

Keypad does take some use to get your bearings, but otherwise, easy to use. Screen excellent, camera v good, (for a phone anyway), utterly superb 40 channel poly ringtones, (nice to see a phone company put some imagination into the tunes for once, the Electric Eel one is simply fab), good functionality from the Symbian OS, and most of all it has what the SPV sadly lacks... BATTERY LIFE! It ain't no 6310i, but it lasts for more than a day, that's all you need to know.

It;s a phone and it does what i want whilst being good to use. At the end of the day it's a mobile phone and it just sits in your pocket all day or by your bed - can't get too attached :laugh: ,(say's he off to play Pacman on it now...)

Westy

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    HEY Craig is that you? I was back in town last week for my birthday but i've lost your phone number! Got to get back in touch buddy. Hows everything going? Now for my take on my SPV, it's moved on quite a bit since we last met!

I'm sure i must have one of the "Good Egg" SPVs. All i ever hear is complaints from people about it! I've had mine for almost 6 months now, and it's bloody brilliant!

A few complaints about it - The vibrate is lame. Really really lame.

TO be honest, that is my only complaint. I have de-certified it, so that i can run non-certified software on it. For those of you not aware, orange locks the phone, not only to its own network, but also so that the phone will only run applications that have gone through the certification process (about $500 at the moment) which clearly limits the amout of decent freeware. Howver, some clever bod worked out how to "hack" it and now i run plenty of cool apps for free, that i would have had to pay £5 - 15 for if they had been certified. Another good point is that the ringtones are deafeningly loud if you want them to be. E-mail handling, and sms handling is spot on, and i much prefer the way the phone works compared to nokias. I have had so many nokias, and just think this phone is so much better than any of them. If i just wanted a phone and nothing else, i'd go right back to my SL45, which was faultless, but the SPV is everything i want at the moment pretty much. On a side note, i never use the camera, as i just use my normal digicam, and then put mem card into the phone, and can send the files attatched to e-mails, or as mms, or whatever. Cool hey?

About smartphone OS, and indeed PPC 2002 (which is pretty much exactly the same but with bigger and touch screen, with handling applications, i agree it is awful, but fortunately, someone has made a program that is basically task manager. I have experienced so little slowdown, and have only re-booted once this month, for my crash.

Since the UK update, i've only crashed my phone once, and was asking a hell of a lot from it at the time. Battery life is pretty ok for me, usually get about 3 hours talk time from a charge, or a few days standby with an hour of calls or so. Every evening it goes back into the cradle to charge and sync up, so i haven't really had an opportunity to run the battery down too much.

It takes SD cards up to 512mb at the moment, so that's a whole load of films, mp3s, wmas, caller pictures, ringtones, and everything else you would want to put on the memory card.

I have to admit, before UK update, and before i hacked the phone, it was just a dodgy phone with some cools toys (msn messanger etc) but now it's a good phone, plus has some great toys. (My Gameboy never got played as much as the gameboy emulator on my SPV)

I can't wait for the next gen of smartphones to come out with more power and maybe slightly larger screens. Megadrive and SNES emulators all the way!

Final thing i've noticed about it. First thing people always ask is what phone is that!? Personally i like that as it's not like the latest nokia or similar, which everyone else has. And then they say they have this new nokia/siemens/ericsson phone with X X and X, and all smug. Then you get out the SPV and play the full matrix 2 trailer in widescreen. I like to show off a lot, and this is definately a great phone for show off gadget freaks! I love my SPV so much. (No prizes for spotting the geek tonight then)