Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Nokia 221T Free2view box problems .... AARGGGGHHH !

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jackal2513, Jan 30, 2003.

1. jackal2513

jackal2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    okay, im pretty p1sed off with this. Just sold my old on digital box on ebay and although it was slower and teh menus were medieval in comparison, it didnt have the problem that the new Nokia much-hyped 221T has...:

basically I have it set to 16:9.... i would imagine taht set to this the screen will always be widescreen. But no ! If teh broadcast changes (say im watching a pal movie or documentray thats stretched and then the adverts come on which are proper widescreen 16:9) then teh box fails to unstretch teh picture. Sometimes i can turn on a channel and its strethed PAL but i know for a fact that its broadcast in widescreen.... what you have to do is press the widescreen button on the remote and it then goes into 16:9. But teh widescreen button is supposed to not have any function when the TV settings are 16:9 ... in eth manual it says it only works if teh tv setting is 4:3 in which case it toggles between "fullscreen", "letterbox" and some other mode.

Thats not all... sometimes when i go into the nokia menu the picture then goes letterbox and i get black top and bottom !!! What teh hell is going on ? Anyone have one of these and discovered similar results ? I think i'll contact nokia about it.

WIth my on digital box it was always fixed at 16:9 and just accomodated the broadcast whether it was styretched PAL or proper widescreen... it never flicked between modes or failed to interpret a true 16:9 broadcast ...... needless to say im very angry at this ..... best part of 130 quid spent on an item that got rave reviews and at the same time my amp has gone bust as well.

any help greatly appreciated

Rich

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Before we can go to any further details, please make sure you download the software update that Nokia is transmitting from tomorrow 10 am and will run for 3-4 days. It is covers elsewhere in this forum. Check the details, go through the upgrade and then we will continue talking with further clarifications...

3. jackal2513

jackal2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all solved now thanks to teh update

4. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I am planning to order one of these now, one month after teh transmitted software upgrade - how will I get my software upgraded, or will it already have been upgraded?

5. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Nothing to worry about. If is not upgraded you can do it through the menu selecting receiver upgrade. It is an on air through aerial upgrade. The machine covers the feature very well and we can all upgrade whenever the software gets a new version. Just go for it!

6. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks for the info. Is the upgrade signal cosntantly being transmitted then?

7. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Is there a 2nd upgrade or is this just the same one I used a month ago?

8. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Jerry

I refer to the upgrade that occurred a month ago.

I haven't heard of any other.

9. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    No this is the same upgrade. I think it is still transmitted till the end of March.

10. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok yeah, learn how to spell "the" !!

:lesson:

teh doesnt mean anything:lesson: