Nokia 221t +dvdr80

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jerry, Jul 28, 2004.

1. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Can anyone enlighten me as to the connections between the Nokia and the DVD so as to download the elec-prog-guide.

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean "record"? I don't understand "download".
    TV Scart --> DVD

3. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry for not being more explicit, with the Philips DVDR80 it downloads a rolling electronic programme guide from ITV and makes recording TV progs very easy. However in the not very simple instructions the connection to an external receiver such as the Nokia digi-box it fails to say if the box is connected to an RF signal in order to "download" all Freeview progs into the guide as well. The only connection they talk about is a scart lead between the digi-box and the DVD recorder.

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Connect the RF as follows:

Aerial ---> Nokia 221T ---> DVDR80 ---> TV............This enables the reception of analogue programs and the GuidePlus+ data by the DVDR80, and DTT by the Nokia, and of course analogue by the TV. Note that the DVR80 does not have an RF modulator so the only way recordings or loop through signals can reach the TV is by Scart.

Scart connections:

Nokia 221T TV Scart ---> DVDR80 EXT2 Scart ... DVDR80 EXT1 Scart ---> TV (an RGB capable Scart)...........Ensure that all devices are set up as RGB and use fully populated scart leads.

Plug in and position the G-Link with the IR transmitter a few cm from the front centre of the 221T

Set up GuidePlus+ in the DVDR80 (the first code for Nokia should switch the box) and leave the DVDR80 on and tuned to ITV for up to 24 hours. You can put the DVDR80 into standby whilst it is downloading the data, but I find it better to leave it turned on.

Subsequently the internal tuner in the DVDR80 will switch to ITV several times a day when the unit is in standby to update the data. Its a very good system.

It would also be worthwhile updating the firmware to the latest version - FF16k

5. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    What can I say? That was so clear and it is loading so thanks very much. Dare I now ask FF16K how? and what will it do? Is it necessary given that the DVDR is only a week old?

6. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Glad it was of use.

Even though your machine is only 1 week old the firmware is probably several generations out of date. To check the firmware level go to the System Menu and select the Remote Control Settings and then press the down arrow button to reveal a "secret" page displaying the system information. The firmware level will be something like FFXXx. The latest level is FF16k and GuidePlus is 1.17, released early in July.

My system information is:-
    DI E3/25277 AN 130322 SV66
    BE 20.3.24 DV present FP13
    P1_7_b 20040610_1700 dev cstep 5.25
    BASE_20040607_LFF16k 20040607_1400vp
    EPG EU 01.17

The GuidePlus+ system seems to have received a siginificant update. For example the adverts no longer display, it now gives brief help for GuidePlus+. I have not found any other feature improvements, it is probably mainly bug fixes.

Download the firmware (48Mb) from the Philips web site for DVDR80/051 and burn to a CD-R following the instructions contained within the download (important to follow the CD data format instructions). Insert the CD-R into the DVDR80 - the update will take about 25 mins. Don't remove the power while it is updating.

You may need to do a hard reset and enter some of your settings again if any features do not work properly afterwards (depends upon the level from which you are updating) - unfortunately you will then have to wait another 24 hours for the GuidePlus+ data to reload.

7. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    My system info is different so I,m planning a download. I,ll let you know how I get on.

8. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I,ve just realised I have another problem, whilst all the "Freeview digital progs have loaded into the EPG whenever I select a freeview chanel when highlighting it I get ITV on all of them. The "regular" chanels are ok and record when asked to. Any ideas?

9. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I suspect that you have not set up GuidePlus+ correctly.

The default setting for GuidePlus+ seems to be that BBC1,BBC2,ITV1,CH4, Five (regular?) are set up to record from the internal tuner, whilst all the others are set up to take the input from the external receiver. For some reason your 221T is not being switched by the G-Link transmitter.

To check if it is working in GuidePlus+ go to the Editor, and all the programs should be switched on. The first 5 will probably be set to the internal tuner and the remainder set to the external receiver. Use the down arrow to step down the list of programs, the channel should change, and switch the 221T for programs after Five. If it does not, then the system is not set up correctly.

Go to the GuidePlus+ setup and check that:
    Language = English
    Country = United Kingdom
    Postal Code = your post code without spaces
    External Receiver1 = Terrestial
    Provider = Freeview
    Input = Ext2 (this must be 2)

The 221T should switch to the channel number displayed on the screen (the first Nokia code should switch the box)

10. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the help with the settings.
    I,ve bitten the bullet and gone for a reset. That was probably around 11.30 am today (Sunday) and I still had to have a couple of attempts at making the G-Link transmitter change it to ITV but what that was due to I,m not sure. If the G-Link is still not being switched by the Nokia in another 20 hours or so when I re-check it all I shall be totally lost.
    I understand that ITV transmits this info 4x a day is there any point in me waiting the supposed 24 hours for it to fully load to check if it is working?

11. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Only the full program listings can take 24 hours, usually it is much quicker and the Freeview program list is the first to arrive.

You should be able to check the set up before the download is complete.

Does the DVDR80 switch the Nokia at all?
    Did it switch it when you did the GuidePlus set up?
    Does it switch it when you step through the channel edit list?
    Are all the channels on in the edit list (ie not greyed out)?

12. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the continuing help. When doing the set up and it sends the code (the first one) to hopefully set the Nokia to receive ITV, I can,t actually tell if its a digi ITV or an analogue ITV signal that I,m seeing in the small framed picture. However I,m at work this morning arrived very early with no chance to check what has happened since my last set up attempt. Hopefully with your help I can soon end this with an updated firmware as well.

13. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    To see if it switching the Nokia put it in standby the DVDR80 will switch it on and change the channel. You could also press the Info button on the Nokia remote to see if you get the program information on the screen.

Remember that the GuidePlus+ default channel settings are usually the internal analogue tuner for BBC1,BBC2,ITV1,CH4, & Five, but these can be changed to use the extenal receiver by using the GuidePlus+ Edit menu.

14. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Arrived home to find nothing loaded so taking your advice I left the Nokia on stand by and went through set up again but it did not switch it on. Then I left the "Navi" on screen and it appeared in the small frame at set up although it(the Navi band) was only there for 20 seconds or so the channel stayed the same. While I,m waiting to see if it loads I,ve noticed I have no sound through the digi box (Nokia) What is going on?

15. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I,ve worked the sound out I had changed the output on EXT 1 on the Tv to digital output.

16. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think I,m going to lose the will to live soon. I really believe that the G-Link is not doing the business. Going through the set up screen
    English
    UK
    post code (no spaces)
    Ext Rec 1 -- Terrestrial -- Freeview-- Nokia
    Ext 2 Small screen displays digi prog and
    its ITV if I chose it prior to starting
    set up and can change it with Nokia
    remote.

I have 4 scart socks on my TV. Scart1 is a designated digi 5-1 CVBS & RGB
    Scart2 is Easy Link & RGB/CVBS/YC
    Scart 3 & 4 CVBS
    Which one to use for the DVD?
    I ought to use scart 2 due to Easy Link (both Philips items) its where
    it is currently.
    HELP

17. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Jerry...Hi-tech is fine when its working but a real pain when it isn't.

Your GuidePlus+ set-up seems OK and connecting to Scart2 on the TV is the best choice. I agree that the problem seems to be with the G-Link system.

Check these items first:-

• That the G-Link jack plug if fully pushed home, the last 3-4mm are surprisingly hard.

The LED on the G-Link is about 5-10cm away from the receiver in the Nokia IR receiver - in the centre under the flap (mine is mounted 10cm above and 5cm in front of the Nokia on the underside of a shelf). A clear line of sight from the transmitter diode to IR receiver is required.

Check the channel line-up in the GuidePlus+ program Editor. All channels should be ON, the source for channels after "Five" should be "Ext Rec 1" and the "Prog No" should correspond to the Freeview Logical Channel Number - check each one! I have also found that if you have a "favourite" list in use on the Nokia then there is a mismatch between the Nokia program numbers and the GuidePlus+ numbers; consequently the Nokia may not be switched. Switch to the "All TV" list on the Nokia when programming a recording on the DVDR80.

Use the GuidePlus+ program editor to step down through the channels with the Nokia initially off. The "Ext Rec 1" channels should switch the box. The led's on the Nokia should briefly flash, Ext2 should appear on the DVDR80 display, and the picture should be visible in the window. (Remember the first 5 channels are probably set by default to the internal tuner, but these can be changed to "Ext Rec 1" using the GuidePlus+ editor).

If it is still not working after the above it is worth doing a firmware update to the latest level (FF16k) as there seems to be many changes to GuidePlus+ in this version. Follow the instructions in the previous post to create the firmware CD; insert in DVDR80 and when finished put DVDR80 into standby for 60 seconds; switch on and check that firmware is shown as FF16k; switch off mains power and switch back on whilst holding in the Standby button. You will then need to do a complete set-up of the DVDR80 and GuidePlus+, yes and wait another 24 hours

18. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Jef,
    If I wasn,t attempting to include "Freeview" in the Guide-plus shouldn,t I still get all the analogue signals in to the schedules, but I haven,t. I thought the analogue stations were registered using the TV and in my case Easylink?

19. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Easylink should avoid the need to tune and set up all the analogue channels in the DVDR80. They will appear in they same way, order etc as they do on the TV. The order is normally BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, CH4, Five.

These should appear as the first five channels in the GuidePlus+ editor and are normally set to the internal analogue tuner, rather the the external receiver. Are you saying that BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, CH4, Five do not appear in your GuidePlus+ program list?

20. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    In a word ,yes

21. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Jef, Just to add that I have recorded from BBC1 successfully albeit by OTR so I assume that the analogues are in the DVD but not showing on the Guide.

22. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Jerry

Something is wrong with the set-up.

Has Easylink set up the internal tuner on the DVDR80 for the analogue channels?

Do BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, CH4 and Five do not appear at all in the Guide+ list, either as analogue or digital channels?

Is the first channel in Guide+ list ITV2 (Prog 6)?

23. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry I jumped the gun with replies, but in reply-- Yes I,m pretty sure the DVD tuner has got the analogue stations. No the analogues do not appear in the Guide+ list.
    There is zilch in the list.

24. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Ok, I need to think about this a bit more, and will post back later. But to clarify:

I understand that they do appear as analogue but do BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, CH4 and Five appear as Digital channels in the Guide+ list?

When you say "Zilch" do you mean there is nothing in the list at all?

25. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Jerry

I think the best thing to do is to update the firmware, hard reset, and the set-up the unit again.

• Download the firmware for DVDR80/051 and burn the CD following the included instructions
    • Put firmware CD into DVDR80 and wait until it has finished (about 25mins)
    • Check new firmware level (FF16k)
    • Leave all connecting leads as they are and switch on TV
    • Put DVDR80 into standby and remove mains power from DVDR80 only
    • Reconnect power whilst holding in Standby button and release when first message appears
    • Wait until EasyLink has transferred the analogue channels
    • Enter all other settings required
    • Set up GuidePlus+
    • Change the internal DVDR80 tuner to ITV and leave DVDR80 on for 24 hours
    • Put into standby for a few minutes to ensure program data is stored
    • Check set-up

If anything goes wrong at any stage, or you are unsure, post again. Good Luck!

26. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Jef,
    I did a quick set up last night and have come home from work to find that I have a fully loaded Guide+ with 5 terrestial analogue and apprx 18 digi channels listed.
    The 5 analogues have tuner and on and the 18 digi channels have on and EXT1 against them. The 18 digi channels have a (P) with various numbers against them and by counting it made sense that it was their position in the Freeview listings with some channels not making it eg.UKTVGOLD.
    Now having re-read all our exchanges and doing all the "editor" things you suggested (watching for the flicker on the Nokia) amongst others; I have arrived at the firm conclusion that the G-Link is not switching my Nokia. That obviously did not affect the Guide+ loading up.
    I got to this stage a couple of days ago went for a complete re-set pulling plug waiting 60 secs and holding stand-by button as I powered it up again and couldn,t reload the Guide+.
    Whats my best move now? I can,t use it to its full potential if I do nothing and I want to get to the bottom of whats going on.
    Interestingly I rang Philips customer care and they said to try a different G-Link cable and or reset up.

27. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Jerry

It's good to know that at least some of the GuidePlus+ system is working.

Ensure that the G-Link jack plug is fully in and that the IR LED is positioned as in previous post. If this does not work then it is worth trying the firmware update as per my last post.

My DVDR80 would not reliably switch the Nokia until I upgraded the firmware some time ago, there are changes to GuidePlus with the latest version.

If that does not work try to get another G-Link from the dealer, if that fails its back to Philips.

Let me know how you get on.

28. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A colleague at work has a DVDR80 and I gave him my cable to try and he said it didn,t work so that does establish that the cable is faulty, and I,m pleased in a way because you begin to doubt your own ability.
    Empire Direct are sending me a replacement and I will let you know what transpires.

29. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I know its been a while but I haven,t resolved all the probs.
    I got a new G-Link from Empire Direct took 6 working days not so bad I suppose.
    Downloaded the updated firmware which went without a hitch. Reset the whole
    damn thing, after a couple of stalled attempts got the EPG loaded up which I have
    sat on for a week or so.
    Now I still can,t make the Nokia change programme. What this means is I can,t
    record digital stations which I realise is not the end of the world and quite frankly
    may never arise its the "it should f*****g work" factor.
    I cant imagine I,ve had 2 faulty G-Link cables, is my Nokia box not the full ticket?
    Is it me thats not the full ticket?
    I,m taking a bit of r and r for a couple of weeks very soon and I shall return
    refreshed for further challenges with technology. In the meantime I,m open to all
    suggestions.

30. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Jerry

I understand your frustration, because it should work. Without it you are not getting one of the main features of the recorder.

Its very unlikely that the problem is with the Nokia as that works OK with its remote control. Assuming that you have tried everything in previous posts, then unfortunately its time for it to go back to Philips, there must be a fault with the DVDR80 G-Link driver. :thumbsdow

Good luck!