Noisy XE1 fix

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by eirejam, Jan 30, 2009.

1. eirejam

eirejam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There's no doubt that the Toshiba HD-XE1 is a great player. I've had mine for around 18 months and I've enjoyed the firmware updates which made the unit region free at first and then able to send bitstream audio shortly after. The build quality is excellent and I've got my money's worth from the player. However the one thing that always annoyed me from day one was the noise from the unit.
    I seemed to be in that 50% category that had a noisy player. I didn't want to invalidate my warranty by modifying the unit so I just turned up the movie volume and tried to ignore the hum during the quiet parts in movies.
    Recently I thought “what the hell, let's try and quieten this baby”. I looked through as many forums as I could and some people tried replacing fans which were very hard to come by. Then one guy suggested using a resistor on the current fan. He used a 100 ohm resistor on his fan and it seemed to do the trick. I did the same, soldering a 100 ohm resistor on to the positive wire of the fan. The noise from the XE1 almost completely disappeared but there was not much air flow from the fan. I proceeded to test the unit and after the second night of testing the unit it switched off. There was no damage to the unit; it just switched off as a safety precaution.
    So much like overclocking a PC. It is trying to get the balance right between airflow and temperature. I decided to try a 75 ohm resistor the next time. The noise from the unit is slightly louder than from the 100 ohm resistor but the airflow was a good bit better. I have been testing the unit for the past four nights playing HD DVD's for about six hours constantly. The unit hasn't switched off once and I'm absolutely thrilled with the greatly reduced hum from the XE1.
    Now obviously this is not going to be everyone's cup of tea and there could be a long term risk to the player, But as Delboy once said “He who dares Rodney, He who dares my son” :cool:. One thing I know for sure, the XE1 is perfect to me now (apart from HD DVD being a dead format of course). Anyway someone might find this interesting and want to give it a shot.