noisy xbox360

ataribaby

Established Member
Reaction score
hi there all,
i took the plunge on friday and purchased an xbox360,got it home powered it up and guess what it didnt work!!! when powered up all i got was 3 red rings so phoned the shop and they happily replaced it,now i have another new one and to be honest the noise of this machine is driving me mad,its so loud,was just wondering if anyone else has this problem,or is it that i have another faulty machine!!!:eek: :eek:

ataribaby said:
hi there all,
i took the plunge on friday and purchased an xbox360,got it home powered it up and guess what it didnt work!!! when powered up all i got was 3 red rings so phoned the shop and they happily replaced it,now i have another new one and to be honest the noise of this machine is driving me mad,its so loud,was just wondering if anyone else has this problem,or is it that i have another faulty machine!!!:eek: :eek:
my first was very loud..then it died...second one not to loud at all.good luck.

mines is pretty loud when just the fans are going and you are on the 360 dashboard but when you put a game (dvd) in it is extremely noisy. dvd drive reads at a high speed so is very noisy.
i don't really notice it as i have surround sound up loud enough to drown it out but it's strange that some people find theres not to be as noisy.
not sure if there is different dvd drives in them like the last xbox. this could account for some not being as noisy.

its the cpu fan that makes all that noise, when i watch a dvd movie it is quiet.

combo of fan and drive. Dvd wont use the 3 cores so wont run as hot. Also games will run the drive at the highest rpm to get the data off to make fast loading etc.

Normal films dont need this through put so run slower. It, was annoying you do get used to it.

Mine noisy in games, but fine in dashboard. Some of this, I fear is down to luck.

PGR3 and PDZ were both loud, but when playing GUN, the noise levels seemed to vary, louder during cutscenes and fights. When playing DVDs, it's not very noisy

This is probaley one of the first things people posted about when they got their 360 back in December and yep it is very loud when playing games but there is a solution, turn up the audio :)

Also, it is alot quieter when running DVDs and original XBox games so like people have already said, its a mixture of the high rpm and the fans.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything said here, my 360 is essentially silent when in the dashboard (or using Xbox live arcade), playing Xbox games or DVD's. But when playing 360 games it gets pretty loud, but I think it's understandable as the machine is doing a hell of a lot of work.. so I'd rather it be loud and working that quiet and overheating every five mins.

Yup, she can be a noisy little beast (no dear I am talking about the Xbox:eek: ) but compared to my shouting in either joy or frustration at various games, especially Madden which seems to be able to up my volume more than any of the others, it is positivley quiet!:D

danny2k5 said:
its the cpu fan that makes all that noise, when i watch a dvd movie it is quiet.

Most the noise (Certianly the jet engine sound) Is from the DVD drive.

If you play PGR3 off the HD (the demo you can download) its very quiet...

As soon as you play the full game the dvd drive sppins up and then you can hear the jet engine noise.

Not really much of a problem, its not excessive. my 2nd console does seem to be quieter but that was made before my first console.. so i think it's all down to luck !

Its just a shame MS had to release the Core Pack because if they had just stuck with the Premium as the standard then all games could use the HDD to cache info from the disc which would allow it to spin slower thus reducing the noise level.

Yup, there decision to release a version with no HDD still puzzles me. Games are already coming out or will be released soon that require a HDD, the advatnages of a hdd are plain to see - definitley not MS's finest decision.

smokingreen said:
Yup, there decision to release a version with no HDD still puzzles me. Games are already coming out or will be released soon that require a HDD, the advatnages of a hdd are plain to see - definitley not MS's finest decision.

It's about being able to offer a lower-priced entry level machine. 270 quid is a lot of cash and something closer to 200 quid is going to appeal to parents whose kids are pestering them for one.

Additionally, being able to buy the unit without HDD means that you get to chose the size of HDD that you want. Currently, only 20gig is available but you can be sure that in time, larger sizes will be released.

Gav

If you have the machine sitting horizontaly there is a way to quieten the machine slightly.

Get yourself some rubber isolation cones and mount them to the machine it dont half make a difference

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom