• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Noisy xbox dvd drive not reading disks.

grayzer1

Standard Member
Hi. My xbox 360 drive started to make loads of noise yesterday(sounded like a dalak!)and is now not reading any disks. I know i shouldnt have,but i removed the drive,thus wrecking the warranty,to see if anything simple was wrong but couldnt find anything. Is this a common problem and can it be fixed or is it best to buy a new drive? Cheers.:lease:

Morphies

Established Member
Have you tried a lense cleaning kit?

How old is your 360?

grayzer1

Standard Member
Its a year and a half old now,but i had rrod about three months ago and sent it away to microsoft so i presume they would have re-newed the lens. Ive not tried a lense cleaner yet but will head out a buy one if you think this will work?

Morphies

Established Member
It can't hurt.

When you had your 360 fixed by MS they will have sent you a report detailing what they have fixed.

When mine when back it had the motherboard and DVD drive replaced. If your report didn't show the DVD drive as being replaced, they wont have done it.

Still, with you taking yours apart like you say, your warranty is pretty much up the flute.

I'd try a lense cleaner, then hunt on the classifieds here or on fleabay for a new drive.

Just as a side note have you tried alternate discs to make sure it isn't just the one disc?

Sounds silly but you wouldn't believe!

grayzer1

Standard Member
thanks for your replys. yeh ive tried all my disks and getting the same noise as if there being scratched. just looking now on ebay but bit worried as it says you cant just simply replace 1 drive with another as you have to fash the new one first,and i wouldnt have a clue about that!

Morphies

Established Member
Ofcourse your other option is seeing how much it is to have it fixed by M$.

That and you can pick up a brand spanking new 360 for about £100 now.

ms2005

Standard Member
It's not as simple as just buying a new drive, if you slot in a new drive it will not work, you need to read the keys of your current drive, write them into the new drive so the xbox thinks it's the same drive.

Sounds like it's the lens, you can get them on flea bay for less than a tenner and plenty of guides online on how to change them.

Little bit of tinkering and a steady hand is all that's required and since you've already taken it apart i'd say you would probably be OK.

grayzer1

Standard Member
thanks for the great advice shazman!!! ended up taking it to local market and got it fixed for£40. After id took it i found out that if id took it into gamestation they would have traded it for a re conditioned xbox with years warrenty for £25. oh well!

shazman06

Standard Member
thanks for the great advice shazman!!! ended up taking it to local market and got it fixed for£40. After id took it i found out that if id took it into gamestation they would have traded it for a re conditioned xbox with years warrenty for £25. oh well!
i know right! it was in warranty so why would you open it!! o well

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom