1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Toshiba32sxb

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jonjonjon, Jul 13, 2004.

1. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    First post, so greetings, etc.

Bought a Toshiba 30 rdxs30 about 6 months ago. Set it up etc,. Picture and sound were great, as was the recording, menus, et all. However the unit made quite a lot of noise, (whirring fan or HD). So I sent it back thinking I had a faulty unit. I wanted the surpliers to test the unit, fix it or send me a replacement. But there was a mix up and they ended up refunding me the total amount.

At this point I decided not to buy a new unit, but to wait until the newer models came out (RGB in/out on the new Tosh unit, plus bigger HD). Anyway I finally ordered a new Toshiba RDX-S32B (multi-region). It arrived this morning, opened the box, plugged it in, and what did I hear........loud whirring noise and annoying buzzing sound.

So, are all DVD recorders like this, have I been unlucky, is it just HDD that make noise.

I haven't got super sensitive hearing, but when I'm watching a film I don't want to hear whirring/buzzing sounds all the time.

I'm obviuosly sending the unit back, but should I try a replacement Tosh, or maybe a Panasonic, or if I want no sound should I go for a non-hdd unit.

If all HDD units make noise I'd rather just have a disc only burner. :(

2. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer 420 was the same. HDDs are crap, my laptop is quieter. Unfortunately, there appears to be no dvd recorders without fan. Strangely my external pc cd/dvd copier never needed a fan.

The worse thing is the HDs don't even shut down when not in use.

3. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD shuts down on the Tosh RDSX32 if you set it to do so in the setup.

As for the noise it looks to me that most are like that, I have quietened mine by fitting a fanmate to vary the fanspeed.

It seems to work fine.