1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Toshiba

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Crispin, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Crispin

Crispin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a month-old Toshiba 340E (£79 from Amazon) which seems to make excessive mechanical disk spin noise.
    Doesn't seem to affect playback - although I've noticed a couple of rather messy layer changes.
    I assume it should run nearly silent?

Ta,
    Crispin.

2. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting similar problems with my 340E (from sevenoaks).

It's perfectly quiet most of the time but occasionally starts vibrating as if the disc wasn't properly balanced. Although, it's not the disc because if I eject and play the same bit again everything is fine.

I'm taking it in to the shop tomorrow, I'll let you know what they say.

3. Crispin

Crispin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yup - this is *exactly* what I get.
    Sometimes the same disc will 'vibrate' and sometimes it is OK - just as if it wasn't loaded properly.
    What happened when you took it in?

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Messy layer changes, mechanical noise and eventually very poor reading was what my old Toshiba 330 suffered from. That went back to Amazon for a full refund. Amazon customer services were great thank god. I don't know where Toshiba get their drives but they ought to start getting them somewhere else.

5. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    It cant help that the drawer seems to be made from paper.I suppose they had to cut corners somewhere otherwise the 340 would cost £200.

6. J_P_P

J_P_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange...mine pratically makes no noise whatsoever :smoke: it just brough it 2 days ago, did your started imediatly making noise ? for now it is "pratically" silent .

By the way, since you both have this model (i put this in thread also)...
    everytime i stop the playback of a movie and put the Player in the standby mode (by Simply Pressing the Power button) -> "The Red Light appears" ... when i resume the play by turning on the player or by simply pressing Play , it doesn't resume the movie where i stopped it... it throws me back to the beginning of the DVD (tipically the DVD menu) like i just simply opened the tray and put the DVD back again.

Is this supposed to happen ? does the same thing happens with your machines (just to rule out it's a faulty machine) ?

7. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Think it is a quirk of this model.Rubbish really considering my old 140e would flag the point in the disc when standby was on.There might be a setting to overcome this somewhere but i havnt had a good play yet.

8. J_P_P

J_P_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it happens in your also ??? :rolleyes:

Don't think that a crack or a firmware will solve this ...

When you say "There might be a setting..." i haven't found anything in the manual :( i also have a sd 330 and it flags the position...the sd 220 also did it

Anyone else has experienced this and knows if there's a setting or something like that to fix it ?