1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Toshiba 32ZP18P

Discussion in 'TVs' started by buckyball, Jul 24, 2001.

1. buckyball

buckyball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Toshiba 32ZP18P and I'm very happy with the set... apart from an annoying buzzing sound coming from the back (transformer?).

This buzzing sound has been mentioned by some of the posters in the 'Tosh settings' thread. I was wondering whether all 32ZP18Ps make this sound, or just some of them. If they all make this sound then I guess I'll get used to it, if not I'll phone up John Lewis and moan!

The sound gets a little louder when the picture size is set to Cinema, Subtitle or 14:9.

2. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buckyball, my 32ZP18P suffers from exactly the same noise as yours. I find I hardly notice it in 4:3 and Wide but it is noticeable in the other screen sizes.

Has anyone spoke to Toshiba about this 'feature'?

John

3. judex

judex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds very similar to what's happening with my Hitachi (see separate post). A buzzing that's imperceptible at first - but once noticed is the thing your listening out for!

4. buckyball

buckyball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I'd really be interested in knowing is if there's anyone with this TV (32" or 36") that doesn't have the buzzing sound.

Seems pretty poor if they can't make a top of the range CRT TV that doesn't buzz!

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the buzzing on my 32 tosh had stopped, but I was fiddling around the back this morning and realised it was still there.... I think we should gather expeirences and approach Toshiba.

6. mspiteri

mspiteri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 36 inch. It's the same here. Having had the TV for about a month I would say that it is less noticable now than it was in the beginning but I doubt it will ever go away. Eventually you cease to notice it, but it's there all right.

Mark

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 36" and no buzzing on mine I'm pleased to say.

Cheers
    OG

8. kenjolly

kenjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Just to let you know - I ordered a 36" tosh from robinsons electrical in Kendal and it arrived 10 days later. The guy who delivered it was the owner and he helped get everything setup.

After 2-3 weeks use I have heard no buzzing whatsoever. Geometry is slightly out but I've only noticed it on the 6 o'clock news so it isn't such a big deal.

:)

9. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Has anyone noticed dark bands down the side of the screen? If not I might ask for an exchange.
    You can notice it when you go to the blue screen when there is no signal present.
    Its very rare when I notice while watching a broadcast but I would like to check with others in case I got a dicky tv.

Paul

10. buckyball

buckyball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No dark bands on my set, in fact the blue screen looks very even (to my un-trained eye).

Seems like you can get these TVs without the buzz, I'm going to contact Toshiba and John Lewis I think. I'll let you know how I get on...

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Is this transformer buzzing? My set is fine but this is something that the Audio / video industry does poorly. I have heard Krell amps that were un-listenable due to transformer buzzing.

There used to be a transformer company in Scotland, I think, who made brilliant transformers that never buzzed. They were put out of business by a well known 'huntingdon firm', who did pay their bill on time. The transformers are now made 'under licence' to the UK designs in the far east. Because of transport costs very few firms use these great transformers anymore. Well done to Audio Synthesis who have been known to air freight these thing in.

Quiet transformers in audio equipment is possible it is just most people don't bother.

Rant over. A bug bear of mine. Sorry.

12. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just me, or does the buzzing get worse when there are large areas of white on the screen. Last night I watch a film which switched from in doors to bright out door scenes and there was a noticable increase in buzzing.

John

13. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    To produce a bright screen will require a lot more power, so if you have a transformer buzz it is bound to get louder.

My 36zp doesn't buzz, but has just been condemned by the ebgineer for flaring of brightness on well lit or outdoor scenes.
    Now got to put up with a terrible picture until replacements are available in september!(This will be the third one, first smashed in transit)

14. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 36" and i dont notice the buzzing. though if i turn off the sound and go and have a listen i do.

15. buckyball

buckyball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phoned up John Lewis, an engineer is coming to check out the set in a couple of weeks time.