• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Noisy SkyHD

breakersrevenge

Is this a problem???

My SkyHD emits a low humming noise while on standby!

Anyone else the same or should I call the Ghost Busters!!

N

NEIL J JONES

It should not make any noise on standby unless its recording or downloading from the anytime service. Its normal for the box to make sound, which you can hear up to about 6 feet away when the box is on. Do a reboot that often fixes the problem.

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
Both my boxes are pretty quiet, other people have had issues with humming in standby and either rebooting the box or a forced update has cleared it. Could be worth a try.

S

SeanyBoy69

I've been one of the lucky ones. No much more than a murmer out of my HD box since it was installed last May.

UNTIL THIS MORNING!!!!

I walked into the lounge and heard what sounded like a hovercraft under the telly. The fan was roaring away so hard I'm surprised the bloody thing didn't take off.

I turned it on to Anytime to see if it was downloading anything interesting. The PIP preview was extremely jerky so for the first time in months I pulled the plug. Will report back if this re-occurs.

N

NEIL J JONES

Yep thats anytime for you. My mate has turned it off and he thinks the noise it makes downloading anytime is a lot louder then normal box noise even when its recording. Why it makes even more noise then normal on the anytime download is beyond me.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
If you're not happy,change the box.
I intend to keep changing my boxes until I get a quiet one.
The first one I had's fan was always going,despite reboots and downloads.
The second one hums so bad you just end up getting annoyed and watch a DVD instead.
If SKY get shirty about it,I'll just demand a refund and go back to SKY+.
I could live without HD.
I'd rather not but if it's noisy HD or quiet SD,I'll take the latter.

nigel_williams

I've been one of the lucky ones. No much more than a murmer out of my HD box since it was installed last May.

UNTIL THIS MORNING!!!!

I walked into the lounge and heard what sounded like a hovercraft under the telly. The fan was roaring away so hard I'm surprised the bloody thing didn't take off.

I turned it on to Anytime to see if it was downloading anything interesting. The PIP preview was extremely jerky so for the first time in months I pulled the plug. Will report back if this re-occurs.

Strange... mine has been quiet until this morning also. Did a reset and it's fine now, but the fans were whirring quite loudly.

Maybe it's something downloading and over-stressing the system?

breakersrevenge

Strange... mine has been quiet until this morning also. Did a reset and it's fine now, but the fans were whirring quite loudly.

Maybe it's something downloading and over-stressing the system?

How do you do a reset?

FZR400RRSP

Banned
How do you do a reset?

Put the box onto standby,then unplug the power lead at the back.
Leave it like that for 10 minutes then plug the power back in.
Remember and switch it off at the wall before you plug the power lead back in though,or you might get some nasty sparking/shorting as you try and get it back in.

A forced software download is switching it off at the wall,then pressing and holding the back up button ON THE BOX when you switch it back on.
All the lights on the box will light up (eventually) and an on screen message will appear saying to leave it for 10 minutes.

lumpsucker

I noticed this morning for the first time also that my HD Box that had been quite for 10 months now was making an unholy humming fan noise in standby.

I've turner it off at the mains for 20 minutes then I'll power up again and see if thats done the trick. Approaching end of warranty on these now us early adopters so any issues at all and SKY get a call !

breakersrevenge

I have not touched it since my 1st post and there was no noise yesterday night and nothing this morning!!!!!:eek:

J

julianjgeorge

My first box died after about 2 months, it was noisy. My second box is still working after about 5 months, it is also noisy, when is use or in standby. My question is how much electricity is the box using as it continually whirrs away in standby? and how long will it be before this one dies. :rolleyes:

J

jorgenM

Our fan has become extremely noisy lately too, running 24/7 now, must be using a lot more electricity than before :(
It wasn't like that right after the upgrade though.

N

NEIL J JONES

Our fan has become extremely noisy lately too, running 24/7 now, must be using a lot more electricity than before :(
It wasn't like that right after the upgrade though.

Those who have Anytime switched on make sure your box is insured ;) .

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom