Noisy Sky+ Box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rab, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Rab

Rab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else noticed a high pitched piercing noise coming from their Sky+ digibox. I had my first one replaced and now the replacement is just as noisy. I assume it's coming from the hard disk or fan (if there is one). There was a slight noise from the second box which was just acceptable but now I have to turn the volume up to drown it out. Both sets were Pace models. Aside from the noise it's a wonderful piece of kit.

2. Jon Baker

Jon Baker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a known problem. Pace now fit the Maxtor D540X hard disk (the fluid dynamic bearing model MX4K040K2) instead of the quantum fireball.
    I believe the change was done on model type F2005 onwards.
    Ring sky and get another replacement.

3. Rab

Rab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Jon. I bought mine from an local retailer so I will be on the phone to them tomorrow.

4. Rab

Rab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked the model number and it's 'BSKYB 3000'. On further inspection it seems like 50% of the noise is coming from my new Tosh 32ZP telly. Now that's a big subject on AV Forums!

5. Jon Baker

Jon Baker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rab look at the system details screen under services the version should be 9F200?
    I got my box from Dixons but they refer all warrenty stuff to sky, who sorted it out no questions asked.

6. Rab

Rab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jon
    When I phoned my local retailer from work on Monday they said my original box was being repaired and would be exchanged for No 2 when fixed. An hour later they phoned my home and told my wife it had just come back from Pace and they would bring it straight round.

They did as promised and my wife was informed that a noisy motor had been the problem! Is the hard disc driven by a motor that would cause such a high pitched noise?

Anyway, it seems to be working fine and the version no is 9F2006.
    :)

7. Jon Baker

Jon Baker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The hard disk has a motor inside it. You will have had the hard disk replaced.

8. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To continue along the same lines as Jon, it does seem to be the ball bearings in the Quantum/Maxtor range. I have an 80gb pre fluid bearing Maxtor installed and that is getting just as noisy as the original Quantum. My course of action is (once the Christmas tree is moved out of the way) to shroud the Maxtor with a SilentDrive enclosure (www.quietpc.com) and if that fails to stop the noise then I will buy an 80gb fluid dynamic bearing drive Maxtor (the 80gb version of what Sky are now installing).

Actually I fib, if I do need to change the drive again I will try and go bigger still!

I don't know what it is about the Sky+ boxes that cause the original bearing drives (Quantum and Maxtor now being the same company) to "fail". There is plenty of room around the drive enclosure and although the inside of the Sky+ box does get hot in certain areas the disk drive sits pretty much on its own at the opposite corner to where the box gets hot.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stokesy

haven't you got that tree down yet?

sounds like the new fluid balls are the way to go. have you tried some 3in1?

let be the first to offer you a fiver for your old drive, my TIVO will love the extra space, especially when the new software arrives

happy new year

Gary

10. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary, I hope we have a long friendship but please trust me on this; If I sold you my ball bearing drive for a fiver there would be no point you ever attending a hi-fi show again because a few nights listening to the noise would guarantee hearing problems.

I am now convinced the drive, although working perfectly, has a permanent noise. It used to be okay at one point until it got up to temperature but now it is just whine, whine, whine, whine all of the time!

How come nobody has problems with the noise from Tivo drives?

Seriously, if I have to replace the Maxtor with a FDB Maxtor then the original Maxtor goes into my...........ahem............PC that I have just bought.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh!! is the toys r us pc still working?

sorry a bit of low blow, but couldn't resist!!!

the fdb maxtor drives are listed on their web site, but can't find them listed for sale,

you had any luck?

12. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the Cybermaxxxxxxxxxxx PC is still working. XP scares me to death though, it's too clever for me.

I couldn't even find the FDB drives on Maxtor's site (4K080K4 I think), the older ones (4D080H4 and 4K080H4) are still there.

My supplier in the UK has never even heard of the FDB drives and does not have them listed (yet).

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maxtor d740x (6L080L4) 80GB 7200RPM 8.5MS

the second 'L' denotes fluid dynamic bearing motors

buy.com lists the d740x but J4 not L4

"Cybermaxxxxxxxxxxx"? does it turn into a truck or something?

you told me "TOYSRUSSSSSSSSSSSSS" made by V-TECH!!

14. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The V-tech thing was a joke, it's a Medion Cybermaxx from Toys 'R Us.

Sorry, it's best if us Sky+ boys avoid the 7200 r.p.m. Maxtors because a few people have reported problems with spin-up times on 7200 r.p.m. devices. The Sky box is "up" before the disk drive on power up and then fails to recognise the drive. 5400 r.p.m. drives SEEM to get up to full speed quicker. That's the theory!

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mart,

well I wouldn't go so far as to call the PC a joke!

if it does the job then ok, and we have enough v-tech electronics to know its a quality product.

Gary

16. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh (just in case anybody from V-Tech is reading) I could not agree more with the comment about V-tech equipment. I have bought enough in my time for Nephews and Nieces to know the quality.