Noisy recordings

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Begadoc, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Sky + box has started having problems recording movies. Oddly, it appears to only happen with movie channels (the free ones - I don't usually pay per view) which are recorded via the timer. The problem does not manifest itself if I switch on the TV to the movie channel it's on and press the record button.

The problems comprise some video drop outs but the worst one is audio drop outs and loud low frequency buzzing noises obliterating the sound track.

My box is out of warranty, so calling out an engineer will be expensive and rather than do that I would upgrade my fairly elderly box.

2. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Not sure if its linked or not but I have 2 brand new Amstrad Sky+ boxes and they both seem to have problems with recorded movies (which makes me think that it isn't the box at fault).

I've watched a couple of movies now and they both broke up in parts with sort of a robotic noise instead of the sound (that may be what you mean with the "low frequency buzzing noises"?).

I haven't noticed it happen on any other recordings, only the movies.

Very strange and I'm not sure why it is happening?

Both my boxes also seem to freeze on occasions while watching live pictures, it doesn't happen often but it does happen, tried swapping cables in the stb's and lnb etc but its still the same, I dont think its a fault with the box as it happens on both (and also on an earlier one which I had replaced).

3. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks as if we are describing the same symptoms. A "robotic noise" could be another way of putting it!

As for the occasional picture freezes, I get these too sometimes, but assumed they were signal drop outs as I think I only get them when there is very heavy cloud and rain around.

I suspect the problem is associated with newer films, but I am not too sure about that. I don't record that many films, so have only noted it on these! Must try and see if it happens with old films as well.