1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy PSW2000

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nickthesafe, Jun 9, 2004.

1. nickthesafe

nickthesafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello group....this is my first post so be gentle!
    I have a kef psw2000 which, after a few minutes of being switched on, emits a high frequency (low level) whistle accompanied by white noise. The wierdest thing is that the noise also makes it's way back to the amp (DSP-A2). Unplugging the coaxial cable shuts off the noise to the amp but the sub continues to misbehave. Sometimes during quite scenes the high frequency rises sounding like a distant siren, and then the sub switches to auto off with a thud. So far kef have been helpful and are willing to send me out a new amplifier unit for it, but it would be interesting to find out if anyone else has had a similar problem, is it common?.

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Try another sub cable ? Does the sub make any noise when no cables are connected ??

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    This sounds like an amp problem.........Capacitors sound like that, when they are on there way out. Dont know how its getting back into your amp, maybe its a problem in the signal stage of the sub.

Kef must think its an amp problem, as they are willing to send you a new amp. Substitute a new cable just in case. But Id put bets on a cap in the amp going tits up.

4. nickthesafe

nickthesafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap:

Would you believe it!, KEF sent me out a replacement panel so i could just swap the thing over. The modded one had two tranny's and two resistors moved to the main heatsink. Strange thing was it kept making the same noise, So i figured the problem was elsewhere. Lived with it all this time until just yesterday i had a bit of free time. Here's the result of a little probing and testing: U14 and U15 on the main board were getting too hot and introducing a random square wave into the audio signal. I moved both devices to the heatsink - PROBLEM SOLVED.

5. dandini

dandini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Nick,

U14 and 15 are regulators - is this what they moved? I'm curious as you mentioned resistors and transistors, not regulators?

Any chance of a photo of your modded one?

Thanks,

Dan