1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy PSW2000....any ideas?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by NPHaddock, Dec 30, 2004.

1. NPHaddock

NPHaddock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello forum, once again having found you after many unsuccessful searches on yahoo - google came up trumps!.

Here's the thing.... I've had a PSW2000 for some time, it has served me very well for my modest needs. After i moved house (probably coincidental), it has started to emit an annoying whistling at a low enough level not to be an issue during loud scenes, but bl@@dy infuriating when things get quiet. It's not a constant sound, but it kind of whistles and chirps way above the amps' normal output frequency range. I had another amp sent over from KEF which had exactly the same problem. So I sold one on ebay and the buyer said it was fine????.

I have tried the sub plugged into different main circuits around the house and it's still doing it. Is it possible this noise is coming in from 'outside'?

Oh, one more thing; when it's hooked up to the dspA1 amplifier, all the speakers start making the same noise as well.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gman85

Gman85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you got shielded cables by anychance? there might be a slight chance of interference in the cables!?

3. NPHaddock

NPHaddock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which ones??, all RCA cables are decent quality shielded, gold plated etc. Mains are normal. Speakers are thick OFC type. This thing makes a noise with only the power connected! and i've tried a 'regular' mains filter inline, no difference. :-(

4. Gman85

Gman85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well thats the most obvious causes out the way! I'm stumped for now!

5. NPHaddock

NPHaddock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks GMAN.....i'm gonna let my friend loose with his scope, if that signal is coming from inside the sub, he'll find it. But it will have to wait 'till after the holidays. I'll let the group know the outcome.

:)