Noisy PS3 serial numbers to avoid - apparantly

D

d4v34

According to Kotaku
try to avoid units that have a serial number that starts with CE133212XXX or CE133190XXX.
Of course these could be just for US machines.

beowulf

Banned
my noisy one was 527----

my quiet one is 554---

does that help ?

Tony Hoyle

Quiet one... 545.. (assuming you're talking about the third number).

mcmanic

mines a 527 and is quiet, much more than the 360 when thats in the dash, cannot even hear it from 4ft away

Tony Hoyle

No noisy 55's reported yet though.

If all the noisy ones came from 527 it's useful data.

MattZani

Banned
oh its a bad problem, they shout at you when you try to read them, whistle at the most innapropriate moments, if you have one, sony will replace straight away!

Im off to check mine for the data pile!

sneeks

546 here (from 3rd block of numbers) and quiet enough in comparison to my 360.

What a total crock this poll is.

Everyones definition of noisy is different
Everyones setup is different, with regards to airflow.
Eveyones ambient house temprature is different.

Just these 3 variables alone will skew any data to a degree nobody will b able to determine anything, or even if there is a problem at all....

Added to that, the original forum post is referring to a US model, which as we know is a totally different beast, which at best is from a totally different manufacturing batch and in all likelyhood from a totally different manufacturing plant...

For what it's worth, mine is a 533, and I would consider the noise to be fair. It's silent initially from a distance of 3m, but after a while, there is a small amount of noise. Certainly less than my old slimline PS2.

english_bob

Watch this thread run and run. :hiya:

D

Deleted member 174041

If im reading mine correctly mines a 526, could this be correct?

Korum

What a total crock this poll is.

Everyones definition of noisy is different
Everyones setup is different, with regards to airflow.
Eveyones ambient house temprature is different.

Just these 3 variables alone will skew any data to a degree nobody will b able to determine anything, or even if there is a problem at all....

Added to that, the original forum post is referring to a US model, which as we know is a totally different beast, which at best is from a totally different manufacturing batch and in all likelyhood from a totally different manufacturing plant...

For what it's worth, mine is a 533, and I would consider the noise to be fair. It's silent initially from a distance of 3m, but after a while, there is a small amount of noise. Certainly less than my old slimline PS2.

Totally Agree, why do forums always start these ridiculous threads about particular serial numbers having better or worse blah.blah,blah

Tony Hoyle

If it's quiet it's quiet.. no worries.

If the majority of the noisy ones are seen to come from a similar batch, as appears to be the case in the US, then it's something to look out for if buying a new PS3. Doesn't really affect you if you've already got one.

Tony Hoyle

That'll be a 536.

btw. Not sure if it's a good idea to put the entire serial on the net.. I don't *think* that it's particularly useful but others are being more cautious.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton