1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Pioneer DV444

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by filipe, Dec 5, 2001.

1. filipe

filipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a few days ago a Pioneer DV444 Multi region RCE comp from Electro Centre.
    When playing DVD's (I tried one rental and one brand new one) and sometimes there seems to be a noise from the disc tray as the disc spins. This noise is not constant and is present more at the beginning of the disc. It doesn't happen when playing CD's.
    Is this normal or not? This is my first DVD player so I'm not really sure.

Appart from the noise everything else is great.
    Cheers for your help!
    Fil

2. Martin Nicholls

Martin Nicholls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same problem with my Pioneer 545, which I assume has the same transport mechanism. It's a high-pitched whirring/buzzing sound, fairly quiet but a bit intrusive.
    It varies from disc to disc, with some discs there is no problem at all. It's also definitely worse at the beginning of the film, or with the main menu selected.
    It's not there at all with CDs.
    Like you, this is my first DVD player, and I'd be interested to know if this is a fault or not.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Anyone want to play chinese whispers again?:D

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My 545 is mouselike and I haven't heard any complaints elsewhere on this very popular model.

Ian

I notice that both complainants live in Guildford so it must be something in the air down there.

5. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Nic....LOL:D

Bloody Chinese!!

Ever heard a 747 at takeoff? Well the Tosh 210's slightly louder when a disc is first inserted!!!

There after (for me at least) it is reassuringly quiet.
    :D

All machines DVD or CD make some noise especially when a disc is first inserted, its the machines carriage machanism locating the relevent track, just try putting a CD into your player and pressing "shuffle"!
    Unless it is audible when you are seated where you would be normally to view or listen to what ever medium it is with all the
    sound turned off then I dont suspect you have too much of a problem!!

Cheers

Si

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had very similar problems with a Techtronics modded Tosh SD900E. I e-mailed Toshiba and asked if this was part of the normal operation of the player to which they said absolutely not, I was advised to take it back to the supplier for an exchange. Seems to me that you should enquire with Pioneers Product Support department and ask the same thing. In my case the player cost £1150 for which transport noise, particularly on a DVD-A player, was in my estimation totally unacceptable. They agreed with me.

In your case I would think the same criteria applies. In fact, getting on my high horse, any player regardless of cost or manufacturer should not exhibit this bloody annoying problem. Optical disc transport mechanisms have been around in one form or another for about quarter of a century, the mechanical engineering should be mature now. This sort of thing ain't supposed to happen anymore!

One other thing. Production costs, particularly on cheaper players, (I'm not dissing your player, just making a general point) are built to a price rather than a standard, albeit that the transport performs reliably to a specification and no more. These transports are not therefore the most robust of mechanisms and may be susceptible to careless handling. If you got your player by mail order there is no guarantee that the courier handled your box with the care it deserves, shocks or jarring could easily explain this problem and may be a result of bearing misalignment or something similar. Yet another reason to think twice about where and how you buy your AV gear. Cheap can sometimes be more costly in the long run.