Noisy PC fan

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MrNPG, Nov 7, 2005.

1. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I've just got a new PC and am amazed at how noisy the fan is, it's deafening!!

My previous PC was 7 years old and I used to think that was noisy but is nowhere near as bad as my new PC.

I had hoped that a new PC would have been nice and quiet.

So, my question is this, is it normal for a fan to be this noisy (presumably you need quite a "powerful" fan for higher spec PC's??).

Can I do anything about it? Are there any fans on the market that are designed to run quietly? I have seen some advertised but are they REALLY any quieter??

Cheers.

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there's loads you can do. First thing to do which is the noisiest component.
    i.e. is if you CPU heatsink, or the PSU or the case fans?

3. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Ahh, good question Skunkpipe....i'm not entirely sure, I haven't opened up the PC yet to find out, must admit, I didn't realise there were several different fans! Hmmm.

4. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    It's probably the PSU, and you can swap it out for a quiet or silent one. My trick is to stick a pencil or similar very quickly and gently against each fan to get it to stop temporarily so you can find the noisy ones. But if you blow something up - it's not my fault :)

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  5. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks Lisa, i will have to investigate further and see which fan it is. I hope I can replace the noisy one as it's doing my head in!

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,426
    Although the pen-trick might work ;-) You could go into the BIOS of your machine and see whether you can control the fan speen so you can narrow it down. If the BIOS doesn't support it, google for an application called Speedfan this should then be able to read and let you control the fanspeed so you can narrow it down...If the big noise is still there, it's probably the PSU...Though I suspect the CPU cooler/fan as well as the stock ones are just unbelievable....
    Good luck and have fun ;-)

7. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks dejongj. One further question, sorry for sounding thick but when you say it might be the PSU, do you mean that the actual PSU is making the noise or the FAN that relates to the PSU?

If it's the PSU itself, I presume I'd have to replace the PSU with a quieter version?? (if available??)

8. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    Yes, PSU's are sealed units and usually have one or two fans in them... you could try and replace just the fan but this is unusual and not advisable. You can take out the whole PSU unit, and put a new one in, that uses quiet fans, or is passively cooled (no fans) I just bought a modular Tagan one to replace my old noisy one, the difference is huge, it cost about £60 I think.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  9. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,426
    MrNPG, you're not sounding thick...Thick people are the ones who don't dare to ask the question and then assume :) We're all new to things at one stage...

I, like many other I guess, never gave PSU's much thought. They are just there, but now a whole new world has opened up...Not only are the noisy ones, there are also many inefficient ones, i.e. need to draw a lot more power in order to make up for their rating so you can have all the economical low power stuff in the world, but your PSU could still be drawing over the odds....And then there are the noise levels, the connectors and the support for graphics cards...But finally do they actually provide the level of power in a stable manner and at the correct voltage...You know just like you have fluctuations in your home they can happen in your PC and your components don't take kindly to it...So research your powersupplies ;)

A modular Tagan has already been recommended...And I would add an ElanVital Greenerger to the list....

10. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Another likely suspect is the graphics card, many of which are easily louder than all the other fans in a PC put together.

11. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I took the PC back to the shop where I got it from and they have confirmed that it is the CPU fan that is the noisiest (only two fans in the PC, one for the CPU and one for the PSU).

However, they advised that it is no noisier than they are used to and would expect.

Therefore, my CPU is a Pentium 4. Any suggestions for replacement fans that would be quieter than the Intel one that is fitted at present?

12. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loads.

I'd be concerned there are no other case fans to be honest.

Zalman CNPS9500 is a good alround safe bet and comes with the bits to slow the fan down - it's a motherboard out job to fit though. CNPS7000 is also popular
    Same for Thermalright XP90 or XP120 - very good, but IIRC m/board out job (assuming you have socket 775 P4 - these will fit straight in to a socket 478)

HAve a look at www.quietpc.com or www.ebay.co.uk

13. DeeeKaaY

DeeeKaaY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest the thermalright 120 with an Akasa Amber 120mm fan but I have also used zalman coolers and they are also good.

14. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    Scythe make some very tasty CPU coolers aswell.. I have a kamikaze which is silent at half speed and keeps my XP2500 nice'n'cool...

I think the 'Ninja' is the newer model for hotter running CPU's..

essentially, ANYTHING will be better than the stock Intel fan, they sound like an F14 taking-off usually...:D

15. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Ninja is superb (as is the shogun)
    Thing is, this cooler is *HUGE* and only fit's in full tower cases - it doesn't even fit in the larger HTPC Cases like the LC16, HT400 etc.

16. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,426
    And another vote of confidence for the cpns9500 from Zalman. I've got that one with my Pentium D 820. I sound really weird now, but this thing is not just silent it is also beautiful with its flowershaper and low emission little blue led inside...It just about very vaintly emits through the side exhaust fan of my black LC16 case and makes you want to look inside....

Right enough geekiness ;) It is quieter beyond believe compared to the stock Intel heat-sink-fan...That is when I remembered to put the correct cable inline which I didn't at first....

17. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If you want something that just involves removing the old one and putting a new one on (No removal of motherbaord etc) then look at the thermalright XP120. I'd couple it with a nexus 120mm fan. Specs done suggest its the quitest but trust me....it is!

Nexus fans are available at kustompcs for £12 IIRC