Noisy Panasonic HDD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jcb69, Jun 27, 2004.

1. jcb69

jcb69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just taken delivery of my new Panasonic DMR-E85 and am very pleased with it, but have noticed that it is considerably noisier than even my old video recorder.

When watching sources through the DVD the HD goes into sleep mode, but there are frequent noises from the machine, very much like a PC when it accesses the hard disk. I appreciate that there are similarities, but unless you are actually retrieving data from the HD I can't see why this should happen.

Does anyone know whether it is normal for an HDD recorder to be noisy, or could there be a fault with the machine and should I return it?

Advice from anyone who already owns a Panasonic recorder or from one of the many experts out there would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I don't have a E85 but, I do have a HS2.

I haven't heard the had disk or the fan since I have I first got it.

3. jcb69

jcb69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - sounds like a phone call to the dealer might be in order.

4. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I would be interested to hear the response.

I am actually surprised to hear someone cannot hear their disk. All devices I have ever seen with a HDD in have made some disk noise, and the E85 I own is no exception. Even HDD based mp3 players are the same.

I have my E85 in a cabinet (well ventilated thanks to mr black & Decker!) and dont notice the noise with the doors shut though.

It is much quieter than my old Toshiba 2109 DVD player though - which I could hear the DVD spionning up etc.

I havent really paid much attention to whether the HDD makes a noise during DVD play - but will now! :eek:

It is a shame that manufacturers dont take fairly easy and basic steps to include a sound isolation enclosure for disks (these work very well for PCs) but that it life, I guess...

5. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with my HS2 that I bought 2nd hand. I originally thought the noise I had was down to the fan because as you mention it seemed odd to me that HDD should be active if just playing DVD's. After opening the machine thought it was clear that the noise was down to the HDD. I replaced the HDD and problem solved.

I believe the HS2 and probably other panasonics test the HDD as part of the boot up sequence which was why I got my noise almost immediately on turning the player on. I'm not sure my HDD is ever inactive or in sleep mode even when just playing DVD's. Maybe later models/versions have sorted this out.

Definately take it back if it's under warranty. If you think you might have ultra-sensitive hearing then ask for a shop demo just to be sure.

Lawrence

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    My HS2 is in a stack on a Hi Fi Stand. If it maked a noise I would definitely hear it.

7. Yanny

Yanny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can hear the HD being accessed when I first turn it on etc but when using it as you are and the HD goes into sleep mode I haven't had any noise at all.

8. jcb69

jcb69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to Panasonic themselves before going back to the dealer (pre-warned is pre-armed and all that thing!) and they actually said that the HD could be expected to make a noise. Still, now to try to dealer anyway just on the off chance that they say something different. Will let you know the outcome.

(loz1 - re sensitive hearing, unfortunately I think that might be a factor - I'm one of those strange people that can actually hear when a CRT is switched on even with no volume! Will certainly try to hear one operating in the shop though)

9. jcb69

jcb69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have also spoken to the dealer now, who said that the HD should make some noise, but he didn't sound at all convincing about exactly how much noise that should be! After listening to it again last night I'm convninced now that it sounds like a HD that's about to become terminal (from bitter experience with PC's in the past) so I'm going to return the machine today.

For those of you who are interested I'll post again later this week to let you know whether the replacement machine is the same, or whether I did have a particularly noisy machine first time round.

10. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks - Very interested to hear what the new one is like. You have made me paranoid now!

I dont seem to get any noise when playing DVDs, or even really when playing from the HDD - most disk noise I get is on startup, at the beginning/end of a recording operation or when doing something like a partial erase.

11. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    HDD's from the same maker do vary. I have gone to great lengths to build 2 silent PC's for my office using fanless miniITX boards and fanless PSU's and the HDD is the only moving part. I have used 2.5" notebook drives as they are much much quieter and get far less hot. I know they are expensive compared to 3.5" but for me it's worth it. I believe the Pace twin uses this size. I was going to fit one to my Sky+ but have cancelled that now.

So, you may have just got a noisy drive. I have found that Samsung drives are superb value and run cool and quiet in 3.5", although that may be down to me having got lucky with the ones I bought.

12. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    Samsung are well known for quiet drives.

13. jcb69

jcb69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect a rogue drive is exactly what I've got. The more I think about it the more I think that it's about to give up the ghost, so I hope I didn't spook anyone else whose HD is working perfectly :D

The dealer said that their workshop will look at it and I should hear in a couple of days whether they agree with me. As soon as I know the outcome I'll be posting an update.

Thanks for everyone's comments - they've been most helpful. :thumbsup:

14. jcb69

jcb69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well folks, the mystery continues. Sent the machine back to the dealer and spoke to the guy in their workshop who said that he'd had the mahcine on his workbench for two days and couldn't hear any noise. Assumed the journey had fixed whatever problem so had them send it back, only to find that it still makes the same noise!

Thinking I was being overly sensitive I went into the local Panasonic shop to say I was interested in the DMR-E85, but had a "friend" whose machine was noisy and it was putting me off. They kindly demo'd their machine for me, and it was absolutely silent.

Phoned the dealer back, and even though they still can't work out what the noise is they've agreed to swap the machine for a new one, although they're out of stock so it won't arrive for over a week.

Looks as though I certainly had a rogue machine, but I'll continue the tale when the new one arrives to confirm whether it's a Panasonic thing or just specific to my machine.

15. jcb69

jcb69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got a replacement machine delivered today and.........it's quiet as a mouse! :D

At least I know I wasn't going crazy with the other one, and all credit to Digital Point, even though they couldn't see anything wrong with the machine themselves they happily replaced it with a new one.

I'm now a very happy owner of a silent hard disk recorder - result! :clap:

16. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Yes, I think my E85 is quieter than my previous (dvd-only) Tosh SD520 so I was quite impressed. I expected a "bit" of HD noise but was really quite pleased with the actual delicate purring of the beast.

Glad you got it sorted.

regards,
    anephric