1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Panasonic ES10 with RAM discs even when not recordingscs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pwood, Jul 22, 2005.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Okay here's hoping I can explain this.
    Had machine a couple of days now and just tonight I noticed fairly loud whiring wooshing type noise when I have a DVD-RAM (cartridge) inserted into the machine. This noise is the same regardless of whether the machine is recording, playing or just on( out of standby) with a Ram disc inserted into the machine .I tried removing the disc from cartridge and no change.

Less than amused I inserted a finalised -R disc and a couple of movies just to see if it was disc related and sure enough the machine was quiet. I'm confused by this as if it was a warped disc then I could understand it but the machine is noisy even after I've pressed stop ( no disc finalization going on either) and waited several minutes by which time one would assume the disc would have stopped spinning.

Before I ring the Panny shop I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. The manual stated increase disc noise when finalising but nothing about the above problem.

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    It's not just your machine. DVD-RAMs make a noise like a fan in both my E85s. When I insert a -RAM disc in either machine, there are a few brief bursts of stepper motor noises, but apart from these it is relatively quiet for about 10 seconds after the tray closes, then it makes the fan-like noise for 2 or 3 seconds, then it is quiet for 2 or 3 seconds, then it makes the noise again and carries on making it for at least several minutes. It goes quiet eventually but I haven't had the patience to time it. When I insert a -R disc it is quiet.

There was a thread about this topic a while back:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206657

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks,
    I've spoken to the Panny shop where I got it from and the manager there was as expected very helpful and said it really should only make the noise described when reading the disc and then should be a lot quieter and indeed he tried it with the shop demo model and this was the case. Anyhow he said if want to wait until my Plasma arrives next week and its still annoying me then they deliver a replacement with the screen.