Noisy new videos

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by humuhumu, Feb 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. humuhumu

humuhumu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few threads in here that hint that new videos at the moment are getting pretty shoddy in build quality. I have bought two over the last month and taken them both back:

+ a Sony 720 - returned because of loud tape noise, very noticeable humming while recording or playing back
    + a JVC 695 (winner of awards from at least two different magazines) - returned, again, because of very loud tape noise, loud enough to drown out quiet bits of the tv sound.

Am I getting bad luck or are manufacturers just not bothering with VCRs anymore and reducing prices (and quality) to compete with the DVD market?

More to the point, where can I find a new - QUIET - video that won't make so much noise that I can hear it while it plays or records? Recommendations welcome!

ps had a cheapo Goodmans for the last four years which was extremely quiet. Cost about £75 "managers special" from Comet and until it ate a couple of tapes performed superbly.

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Panasonic NVJ625B is pretty quiet, I'd imagine the 630 that replaced it recently is much the same (although rewinding and fast forward are very noisy [and incredibly fast :D ])

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,335
    I've bought 2 new Panasonics recently and they are both noisier than I would have expected. The one that I use in the bedroom made a noise like rubbing your finger around the top of a whine glass - I had to stuff an argos catalogue between the top of the VCR and the shelf above to stop it.
    I think they are far more flimsy these days - hence the noise

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL! was that pun intended!:blush:

Taz.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member