Noisy Li-Poly battery

Triffix

Standard Member
Hi - I'd *really* appreciate some advice on this.

I bought an 8.4v 2amp Li-Poly battery to provide external power to my Panasonic GH2. Made in China (of course) and bought on ebay.

I'm using the official Panasonic DC coupler, and the Li-Poly battery is about 2000 Mwh, correct polarity and right size connection leads straight out of the box, which was handy.

Everything works properly - however, when the camera is switched on the battery makes a quiet 'fizzing' sound. When the battery is under load, recording HD video, the noise increases significantly, and is a mixture of 'fizz' and alternating high pitched whines.

I've never owned any sort of rechageable battery that makes a noise when discharging - but, again, I've never owned a Li-Poly.

No noise when charging, nor does the battery get particularly warm. End of charging cycle voltage is 8.9 volts.

Is noise a Li-poly discharge characteristic - or does it indicate somethig nasty going on?

Your advice before I damage anything would be welcome.

T

Last edited:

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
I did a few searches last night and today following your post and can find no mention of this behavior being a characteristic of Li-Poly batteries so I'd also recommend you stop using it and return for refund or replacement ASAP

JIm

Triffix

Standard Member
I did a few searches last night and today following your post and can find no mention of this behavior being a characteristic of Li-Poly batteries so I'd also recommend you stop using it and return for refund or replacement ASAP

JIm
Thanks to everyone who has chipped in.

I emailed the seller, and he advised me to stop using it while he consults his 'engineer'...

Heard nothing back, so far, but I'm very uncomfortable with the thought of using it so I'll send it back.

I'm not sure why it's making weird noises - the camera pulls about 1/2 amp max (I think) and the battery is rated at a 2 amp draw, so it should handle the demand very comfortably.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

T

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom