1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy laptop fan

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paiger, Jun 9, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, not strictly HC but I know there are some knowledgable guys here so wondered if you could help. My wife has a Sony FX laptop, I think a P3 833 and it has become very noisy. I have a Sony GR124 (P3 933) and it's quiet as a mouse. It sounds like the CPU fan on the FX. Does mine not have one? I recollect somebody saying that Intel brought out a new P3 that needs no fan.

Assuming it is the CPU fan on the FX, is it replaceable? Is it possible to replace it with a silent device and is it possible to fit this new CPU to the FX series. It seems to have got louder over time. My guess is that it's one of those nasty little 20mm fans like on VGA cards.

Lastly, is this a DIY job? I'm happy building desktops etc. but have taken the back off a laptop. Will 1000 tiny springs fly out and should I take it to a repair centre (not PC World LOL).

Thanks

Steve

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ideas then?