1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Infocus 5700 - even after replacement!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by leedavies, Sep 1, 2004.

1. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought an Infocus 5700 2 weeks ago and it was noisy from the start - the colour wheel "rumbles" and vibrates.

I just had a replacement arrive direct from Infocus and it does exactly the same, although not as frequently or as loudly. The rumble/vibrate comes and goes and almost seems to get louder as the projector warms up.

Is this just rotten luck, or is this a common problem?

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Colour-wheel "whine" is often reported with DLP projectors - the degree to which it acceptable/unacceptable is really a personal choice. Perhaps some owners of the same model might come along and indicate their experience - I haven't encountered the 5700 so I can't really make any judgement about it.

Failing that, you could try checking over on avsforum (the US equivalent of this forum) - there's a bigger population of projector owners there and they might have some experience they could share with you.

Sean G.

3. guccismith

guccismith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee,

I had mine delivered last week. I get 2 types of noise coming from the projector

1. When I first turn it on there is a fairly high pitched noise, I assume that is the colour wheel. However, this does get quieter as the PJ warms up.

2. The fan noise. Louder than I expeted, but I seem to get used to it after 15 minutes or so.

There are no rumbles or odd noises to speak of.

I have't set everything up correctly yet, the PJ is about 1.5m behind me just above ear level. I am hoping that once it is installed on the ceiling much of the noise will dissapear as the PJ will be about 3m away.

BTW - Great service from the guys at Hifix.co.uk (Frank Harvey Hi Fi).

4. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks gucci.

This evening, tried taking my PJ down off the mounting bracket and running it for 10 mins on a solid table, to isolate the mounting bracket from any noise issues.

Rumble/vibrate noise was exactly the same, so the cause is definitely the projector. And it happens regardless of whether or not the PJ has a video connection.

As I've already had a replacement direct from Infocus, I don't hold out much hope for one that doesn't rumble...........

5. guccismith

guccismith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nightmare :mad:

What are you going to do, have you spoken to Infocus again?

If you want, I will record the noise of the PJ running onto my digital camera and e mail it to you. It may give you an indication as to whether your model is duff!

Mark...

6. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    gucci - that would be excellent if you could.

I've done the same and given the video clip to my dealer (Sevenoaks in Cambridge). I plan to take my PJ into their store on Saturday to compare side-by-side with their demo unit.

To be fair, they have been very good over this so far and are keen to help.

A video clip from you would be superb! How old is your 5700?

7. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 5700 is noisy although this is just from the fans, no vibration or 'rumbling' sounds. I keep trying to organise re-positioning it behind the wall into my garage, which will also allow a bigger image size. I have another issue with my projector that has been going on since February, a couple of weeks after I bought it. The support I am getting from Infocus EMEA has been very poor and for the pass 2 months it seems they are now deliberatley ignoring my emails.
    Hope you have better luck than I am getting.

8. guccismith

guccismith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you PM me with your e mail address. I will get it sent to you tomorrow lunchtime.

My unit is a week old, with about 15 hours on the lamp.

9. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Spoke with Infocus customer support this morning - who have been *EXCELLENT* throughout by the way - and have a 2nd new replacement PJ being shipped to me today.

They apologised for these problems and assure me this is a rare occurrence.

Fingers crossed the next one works!

10. stormtide

stormtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used a 5700 for some 5 months - it ceiling mounted just above and beyond my seating position. I happy to say that the only noise is the "Whine" of the wheel and even that decreases significantly after warm-up (5 minutes) - so much so that I no longer hear it. Overall, a superb pj, :) and now at only £2200!!! :clap: - a £500 saving against what I paid :oops: .