1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy graphics card...not fan!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    My HTPC is making a horrible high pitched whining noise that is just on the limits of my hearing ( my wife can't hear it but to me its very loud). It seems to emanate from the radeon 9800 128M in the machine (arctic cooler on it so its not a fan problem)

I've ruled out other sources of noise ( silenx PSU , x2 zalman 80mms and silenx on the front intake none of which are making objectionable noise).

Thing is if I do certain things that produce a graphical response ie: adjust the custom aspect ratios in Theatertek the noise will die whilst I'm zooming up the picture in this case)

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Its a bit like the noise from a CRT but more noticable.
    Capacitors going bad on the card or something?

I'm using a gyration ultra suite ( wireless mouse and keyboard into a USB port). The only other device hooked up is a USB external HD which is often powered down as its for hidef storage only)

I have a radeon 9800XT in my other machine that I can swap over for comparisson (its watercooled though and it will be a right pain to unbolt the block and put the fan back on it).

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Its possible - what mobo do u have it on? I know some motehrboards have been prone to very high pitched whining - like the MSI K7n2d ILSR.

Of course such a high pitch is very hard to eliminate unless swapping components.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    asus P4C800-E deluxe
    and I've just found someone else posting on silentpcreview that they have what sounds like a very very similar problem with the same board and GPU.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    And just to add insult to injury I just ordered an additional "B" grade P4C800 from overclockers as an 800FSB upgrade for my workstation!

pants

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    sorted

I swapped out the newish silenx psu for a nexus 3000 which was originally replced for the silenx for a similar whining noise. Horrible high pitched whine is now gone. Seems like its some sort of interaction between the mobo gpu and silenx psu