• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Noisy Elite - Reason to Return?

ger32

Established Member
I traded in my 20gb xbox for the elite at Game last week. However it seems from initial use that its actually louder than my old one! One of my main reasons for changing was that i fancied a quiter model to continue watching my Wire boxsets on. So, following the great advice on this site I sought out and bought a Falcon elite.

Does anyone know if stores will take back a machine for this reason? I really like the bundle I got from game (Halo & Need for speed) so how likely is it they will (a) just let me swap machines and (b) will get a machine that's quieter (I'm not looking perfection here - just an improvement over my old machine).

Any thoughts or experiences?

amardilo

Distinguished Member
I traded in my 20gb xbox for the elite at Game last week. However it seems from initial use that its actually louder than my old one! One of my main reasons for changing was that i fancied a quiter model to continue watching my Wire boxsets on. So, following the great advice on this site I sought out and bought a Falcon elite.

Does anyone know if stores will take back a machine for this reason? I really like the bundle I got from game (Halo & Need for speed) so how likely is it they will (a) just let me swap machines and (b) will get a machine that's quieter (I'm not looking perfection here - just an improvement over my old machine).

Any thoughts or experiences?

I am not sure about exchanging a machine but if you can exchange the 360 for another one it might be worthwhile looking out for the newer Jasper chipset as it is supposed to use less energy so I would have thought that chipset would probably not have as much noise (i.e. not as much heat generated so maybe fans are not as loud).

sam0

Established Member
I have both a Falcon Elite and a Japser Arcade, and I would say that the Jasper is quieter.

How To Spot A Jasper Xbox 360 - M for Mature - Video Gaming and Consumer Electronics - News, Reviews, Editorials, and Community Discussion
You can *just* about see that label through the hole in the box, when I went to look for a Jasper; Comet, Currys, PCWorld, Toys R Us and Argos had no problem with me examining the box, so I doubt Game would have any issue.

Also take a look at: Consumer Direct - Electrical and gas appliances - "it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for its purpose and as described." you could potentially argue that the xbox isn't fit for purpose as it's too loud when playing DVDs. Also worth phoning Consumer Direct, to see if they have any advice if Game refuse to take it back.

Jammz_r

Standard Member
I have this question too :( I got the exact same elite deal from Game last week & I am trying to watch Apollo 13 on HD-DVD at the moment & the noise is very annoying, it's not the loudness so much but the pitch.

Does anyone think Game would give me a refund for cash for just the Xbox as I traded in shift & Halo as soon as I got it. If I got my money back I could then wait a few weeks & get the Forza 3 super elite deal which will hopefully be less noisy but if not I will at least have an extra pad & the bigger hard drive.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
I have this question too :( I got the exact same elite deal from Game last week & I am trying to watch Apollo 13 on HD-DVD at the moment & the noise is very annoying, it's not the loudness so much but the pitch.

Does anyone think Game would give me a refund for cash for just the Xbox as I traded in shift & Halo as soon as I got it. If I got my money back I could then wait a few weeks & get the Forza 3 super elite deal which will hopefully be less noisy but if not I will at least have an extra pad & the bigger hard drive.

if you are watching an hd-dvd, then i doubt the issue is the elite, more the hd-dvd drives noise, as the 360 fans will be spinning, but not the drive, in which case, i doubt a refund would be entertained.

Jammz_r

Standard Member
Nah it is definitely the console it's self as it sounded the same earlier when I was playing Forza 2 which is installed to the hard drive. The noise I can hear is the fans which seem to change in pitch from low to high and then back again in a cycle.

In fact the HD-DVD drive is virtually silent, it does not seem to spin as fast the DVD drive.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
well, if thats the case, i would think its the fans gaining speed to cool down the console, and vice versa, slowing down when its cool, so its doing its job..

suppose it all depends on where it is, how its situated, and how close you are, also the level of ambient noise in the room too, all add up to how you percieve the 360's noise.

raymondo1

Established Member
i just got a jasper elite too, its quieter than my other 360 but still has that annoying whine from the fans -not the dvd drive.
im talking purely about the console noise when in the dash or playing from the HD - we all know the dvd drive sounds like a jet when it spins up.
ive heard many 360s and they all exhibit the same whine to some extent, the very same frequency so its clearly a product of the fan design/exhaust.
i have also tried some of those whisper max fans, whisper being a pretty poor description if u ask me ! slightly different fq and just as irritating.
i doubt u can take it back for this , as its not really a fault, just the way it is.

gr0uty

Prominent Member
Iv'e had three 360's and im now on the jasper elite. I was quite dissapointed that the Elite still makes that horrible high pitched whine. I did consider trying to exchange it but I figure Iv'e had 3 now and they all sound more or less the same so what the heck. Luckily I have a lovely quiet PS3 that I can stream to and watch DVD's ect....

ger32

Established Member
Thanks for the opinions and apologies if I confused the issue - I actually got a the JASPER elite (manufactured May 09) not falcon, obsessing over chips n noise has taken a mental toll!)

I spoke to the manager in Game and he was decidedly cold on the issue. He said to bring in the console and they would stick it on.

I don't fancy my chances but will read up on Sam's consumer rights piece, adopt an air of righteous indignation and hopefully get it swapped.

Although admittedly its more likely I'll tire quickly of any debate and leave with my noisy console under my arm and my tail between my legs.

Last edited:

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Enjoy your 360 (they are all noisy) and buy yourself a DVD player for 20 quid:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom