1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy electricity

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dUnKle, Aug 26, 2004.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,498
    Think thats the best description

This morning after coming home from work I noticed a strange blockiness on my plasma TV - like a small chess board effect - patchy over the screen

I have noticed it before but it was only this morning I twigged what was the cause - in a room across the landing a hairdryer was on - the second it was switched off the picture came back perfect

What can be done to prevent this ?

2. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The problem is interference from other electrical items on the same spur . A mains filter/conditioner should help - I think Isotek do one £400 - £500 or for around the same money a dedicated mains spur for your AV equipment which should cure the problem . :thumbsup:

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Jesus! that's a lot of money. I'd suggest you stop using your hair dryer on the same spur. Try another room that doesn't affect the picture. If it works the inconvenince is surely better than a £500 outlay. Do they do battery powered hair dryers these days?

4. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If not, I believe John Lewis does a good deal on towels ;).

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,498

yes - thats exactly what I am thinking now

do those mains adaptors work ?

6. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Duncan,
    I've just purchased an 8 way filtered mains distribution block from Mark Grant, who does the excellent powerbuy cables, and it really has improved the sky+ display on my plasma panel. I used to get a few white sparklies that it has removed and he also fitted spike suppressors for me as I've had problems in the past.
    Extremely well built unit and I'm very happy with it.....it didn't cost £400 either!!

Andrew, a former cable sceptic:)

7. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How much did it cost though?

8. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I didn't post what I paid (£120) because I got it on the back of a component and co-ax cable so I don't know if this is a fixed price or not....best to contact him directly really as I know he made mine to order so what he charges may depend on other factors.
    I know I was very happy when I unwrapped it and I don't like parting with hard earned easily, after connecting it up I wasn't dissapointed as I've stated already I got a highly noticeable improvement in the delivery of sky+ transmissions via my Fujitsu plasma.
    Hope this helps,
    Andrew

9. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Russ Andrews website does many different blocks/filters , may be worth a look. ps . they are cheaper than the Isotek !

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    cheaper to buy a hair dryer without a suppression fault.
    If it interferes with your TV it's against the law to use,
    cos it will interfere with your neibours TV too!

11. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,
    Yes, you're absolutely correct, it is illegal, but to date I've never heard of a successful prosecution for anyone using a piece equipment which was not compliant with EMI emission regulations. As a result, we're stuck with a world of equipment pumping rubbish into the mains, and things like mobile phone masts, microwave data transmissions, satellite broadcasts etc pumping RFI into the environment, and all of this seemingly conspires to wreck our audio and video fidelity. The problem don't end there either, as plasma screens, projectors, some A/v receivers, DVD players, satellite receivers, cable boxes, and now some power amps and pre amp all use switch mode power supplies. Whilst they should be tightly toleranced and not cause problems, my experience is that they do cause problems, many are very audible and leave display artefacts which are noticeable.

My no.1 tip for delaing with these is to try and kill the problem at source, in the case of fridges, microwaves and other electrical paraphenalia, you want to try suppress these with things like the Isoplug (or the Russ Andrews equivalent). Very effective and cheap, around £30. An even better idea is to try and use a separate circuit which may well reduce the effect dramatically, or even speak to a friendly electrician and see what it would copst to run a separate circuit to your listening room / home theater.

To fix specific problems at the component end, you're going to need suppression in the form of either Isoplugs or the new Gemini, which is aorund £200 and has two outlets. The £500 unit suggested by Cucuz is the GII Mini Sub, a very serious unit with 6 outlets and specific filters to deal with video equipment, high current outlets (amplifiers and A/V receivers) and a pair of source outlets. This will improve an entire system (much like the Substation) and it's effects are not subtle. I've seen the effect on Pioneer PLasms screens,. and it's very noticeable, sharpening the image, improveing contrast, colour saturation and preventing the kind of blocking artefacts reported by Duncan. Another way of dealing with some mains related problems is to use a good quality 100% RFI/EMI shielded mains cable, but in this case you're going to need a solution like a mains filter to deal with this specific problem.

I hope this helps.

Dave

12. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I'd give Russ Andrews a go as his products have worked for me. They offer a money back guarentee and their staff can offer you advice.

http://www.russandrews.com

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Do you get a 5 year warranty with the towels?