Noisy, broken Wii....

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by sjw, Jan 31, 2009.

1. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Switched the Wii on yesterday and the drive was very noisy. Starts off very noisy, then speeds up and sounds like a plane taking off. It then stops as though the motot just can't spin it any more. The games don't play.
    Found a link and it souds exactly like it....
    My Wii was bought only a month ot two after they came out. Is the process to contact Nintendo on 0870 6060 247? What is the process then? Will I have to pay? How is it packaged up?
    Hopefully it is simply a drive problem so hope they would just replace that. I have backed up my save games but quite a few of them won't allow the save file to be backed up (Mario Kart, Strikers football etc.). I also have some Virtual games and lots of friends etc. so assume if I get a new system they would all be gone?
    Cheers for any help and advice..

2. captainff

captainff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Instead of calling them go to Nintendo Service Centre (although as I post this the servers are down for maintenance) and log the fault for free .. .. .. they will post out details of how to send your Wii and a label to add to the package. Any box will do as they generally don't return the packaging. Print off your name address etc and tape that to both sides of your Wii to reduce the risk of it being muddled with someone elses. It should take about 2 weeks from sending your Wii to having it returned.

When you are filling out the online form if you *forget* to add your purchase date and *forget* to send proof you might get a free repair.. .. .. ..

3. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Aah right so I can normally fill in details online then. I had seen the site (that's where I got the number from) but it's been down for a couple of days now.
    Don't they normally do these repairs for free? Understand they're not obliged to but heard a while back they were..?...
    Thanks...:)

4. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Finally got around to calling them yesterday (website STILL down for 'maintenance'...).
    They're sending a pre-paid label and I need to box it up (WITH its power supply :confused:) and send it back for them to fix it. Said 10-15 days and didn't ask any details at all about it. Said they couldn't guarantee it would be the same one returned but if it is only the drive then it should be...
    Not too bothered about losing it for a couple of weeks to be honest - nothing at all appealong lately.. :thumbsdow:(

5. Zed_Bee

Zed_Bee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's a pity you couldnt borrow a friends drive, load and save all the data you like then re-install you're current dodgy one. You're obviously ok with removing the shell and faceplate of the wii, its just a case of removing 4 pozidrive/phillips screws holding the drive on the rubber dampeners and carefully lifting evenly about a quarter of an inch then move the whole drive towards the front untill you hear a little 'perchink'. (thats the white doubled over cable being released from being tucked away under the black bracket). then you can flip the drive over and remove the ribbon and the white connector and replace the drive temporarily.

Just remember to pop the white wires under the bracket from whense they came when you put the new drive down onto the rubber pads.

Well, good luck mate.