Noisy Blu-Ray Drive - Is it normal??? Also - Does your PS3 crash at all?

Master Yoda

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I would just like to say that I love my PS3 and so far have been extremely impressed with it...

However...

1. The machine has crashed on me a few times... last night it crashed 2 hours into playing motorstorm online, during a race, the image and sound froze and the console/controller was completely unresponsive. The PS button didn't work and holding the power down button on the console brought a black screen and caused the green led to flash continuously. Eventually I had to reset the machine from the back. Anyone else had this happen yet? Anything I should be worried about? Everything was fine after rebooting it...

2. The noise coming from the blu-ray drive doesn't seem normal to me...

Most people on this forum are only talking about the fan noise as being a discussion point but to me the fan noise is not that bad at all (I can cope with that easily)... it's the bluray drive that's by far the most irritating thing, when its accessing data... It's unbelievably loud in my opinion...

I find that the noise coming from the drive is worst when playing and loading levels on Motorstorm... It sounds more like it's eating discs rather than reading them... Is it normal for it to constantly make grinding noises and be so loud when it constantly spins up/stops/spins up etc. is this normal??? It almost sounds to me like the drive is having difficulty reading the disc??? It doesn't sound healthy. You can hear something moving back and forth continuously until the level loads, as if it's working to the limit. The loading times for games also seem quite long, but I am guessing this is normal(?) The disc itself is perfect... Anyone else experiencing this??? It is definitely the loudest optical drive I have ever heard - I have owned plenty of games consoles and have built many PCs over the years and never heard anything as loud as this one... If it's not normal, then I need to know asap, so that I can exchange it before the 28 day period runs out...

(My PS3 is UK spec and has the latest 1.60 firmware)

Glad you posted this :smashin:

1. The only time I've had my PS3 crash where I had to turn the power off was last night playing Motorstorm (twice) which tells me it was something to do with the online play system last night rather than my PS3 going faulty :thumbsup:

2. Your PS3 should be no louder than a Sky+ box playing a Blu-Ray (mine isn't). Not noticed mine making disc noises.

Exact same thing happened to me on motorstorm too. Only the once though and pressing the power button to reset it sorted it out.

Most people on this forum are only talking about the fan noise as being a discussion point but to me the fan noise is not that bad at all (I can cope with that easily)... it's the bluray drive that's by far the most irritating thing, when its accessing data... It's unbelievably loud in my opinion...

I find that the noise coming from the drive is worst when playing and loading levels on Motorstorm... It sounds more like it's eating discs rather than reading them... Is it normal for it to constantly make grinding noises and be so loud when it constantly spins up/stops/spins up etc. is this normal??? It almost sounds to me like the drive is having difficulty reading the disc??? It doesn't sound healthy. You can hear something moving back and forth continuously until the level loads, as if it's working to the limit. The loading times for games also seem quite long, but I am guessing this is normal(?) The disc itself is perfect... Anyone else experiencing this??? It is definitely the loudest optical drive I have ever heard - I have owned plenty of games consoles and have built many PCs over the years and never heard anything as loud as this one... If it's not normal, then I need to know asap, so that I can exchange it before the 28 day period runs out...

Exact same thing with mine. When loading motor storm at the start of a race it takes almost a minute to load and I get the same noises as you are describing. Also the motorstorm logo that spins, while it is loading, stops spinning at times. Have also had similar problems with RFOM and Blazing Angels so I know that it is not the game that is at fault.
Borrowed a mates PS3 last night to update for him as he has no internet and tried the same games on his system, and his was a lot quieter than mine, no real disc noise at all.
Also watched a Blue Ray movie last night and it made the same noise as when playing games, but only while loading the film, it was silent through the film.
Have rang Sony support over the matter and the have no idea what it is. The guy I spoke to said he had never heard of the problem and told me to return it to the retailer which is Argos. So first thing tomorrow it’s of to get it exchanged, not willing to take a risk on having a faulty machine after only 2 weeks. Will let you know how I get on.

Yep another one on motorstorm here, same as everyone else, the game just froze and had to reset the machine, unfortunately it seemed to have registered that as i dropped out of the game in my stats :(

Mine crashed in exactly that way while playing Oblivion.

I have also heard the disc reading being noisy, but only with PS2 games so far.

Have had the Motorstorm issue only once so far but I have commented before on the noise of the drive, almost like it's having trouble seeking the correct sectors. One very noticable thing is the excessive time it can take to swap between, and display, the different vehicles... sometimes 10 seconds plus.

Kind of put this down to the drive just being slow or something but if it's out of the ordinary then might just be worth a trip back to Curry's.

i do have long loading times on motorstorm and some noise, but ok on other games, i have also had it freeze online just to confirm

my ps3 has crashed a couple of times on both RFOM and call of duty 3. it does say in the instructions that if this were to happen then the user has to press the power button for ten seconds and the system will re-boot so this tells me that sony are aware that the ps3 can crash-apart from this a truly awesome machine indeed.:thumbsup:

I found my PS3 drive is a lot quieter than the 360 I had. The thing with loading times I think is that the files aren't set in such a way as to make loading easier, not sure on the techincalities of disc mastering so can't really comment any more in regards to that :)

When mine crashed, only switching the mains power off could get it back again... holding the power button didn't work...

Also - the weird thing about the noisy bluray drive is that mine is really quiet when playing dvds... it seems F1 is a bit louder, but nothing too bad... it's only when playing Motorstorm that the drive seems to want to violently vomit the disc out... I don't remember noticing the noise as much when I first got the game... I really think the drive has got louder than it used to be...

Ive had the freezing of the spinning logo on Motorstorm when loading levels and also excessive time in displaying vehicle options. Never crashed though.

The fans belt out ten to the dozen though, whatever I'm doing. And it gets damn hot. I wish someone would say whether this is normal or not? So many different experiences. Dont think I'll takr it back though - got a years warranty - and failing that there's always home contents insurance.

:thumbsup:

The power button reset( hold 10 secs) takes a lot longer than that, I had it held down for 20+ at least before it reset.

Glad you posted this :smashin:

1. The only time I've had my PS3 crash where I had to turn the power off was last night playing Motorstorm (twice) which tells me it was something to do with the online play system last night rather than my PS3 going faulty :thumbsup:

2. Your PS3 should be no louder than a Sky+ box playing a Blu-Ray (mine isn't). Not noticed mine making disc noises.

I had lock-up trying to play Motorstorm online so i haven't bothered going back, something needs sorting out, that's the only crash i have had also my bluray drive is prity much silent i hear no disc spinning or anything all i hear is the fan kick in when it needs too even then it's barely noticeable.

Not had a crash but I do get the drive noise / slow loading on Motorstorm. Is the consensus that this is normal? (Only got RFOM as well, and loading seems OK on that, as does drive noise).

Not had a single crash yet and my Blu-Ray drive makes next to no noise when playing games or films :confused:

By the way mine is a 20Gb US PS3.

Mine have never crashed its real quiet to no problems of any kind so far Im very happy with it.:thumbsup:
Not got any Bluray films yet tho.

UK PS3 from 23 march have used it upright an flat seen no different in the noise it makes.

A grinding noise on disc reading doesn't sound right. My PS3 is very quiet when reading discs and the fan is quieter than my tv and PC!
Had one crash on RFoM and that's after playing hours and hours the last two weeks, on many games.

No crashes at all here. Only have Motorstorm and RFOM, and the downloadable stuff from the store.

Noise wise, The drive makes some noise seeking during Motorstorm, very similar sounding to my old PS2. I don't think it's anything abnormal. My 360 was MUCH louder, perhaps 4x louder.

2 freezes for me on Motorstorm Online. The noise you hear from the BR-Drive is just the drive mechanism doing it's thing. I can hear it, but it doesn't bother me really - it's just like a PC DVD-ROM if you think about it.

I also feel they should look at the freezing of Motorstorm, it's happening all too often, and to too many people for it NOT to warrant investigation by the producers.

Cheers !:smashin:

I've never had crashes playing games - but a few times I've had crashes requiring a reset when trying to read froma portable hard drive I have permanently connected (it was trying to read music). If it reads straight away its fine, if it doesn't I hav eto reset the whole thing. It isn't the files either - as after the reset they may play fine!

Shaz

I agree. My CD/DVD Drive is much noisier than anything i've heard before when first accessing the disc. It seems to quickly spin up then spin down repeatedly and is too noisy in my opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom