1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

noisy amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bunyboy, May 10, 2005.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    so im just getting into this seperates thing and have been looking at the pioneer slimline amp/receivers (old stock of the vsx-c100 or the 301 or 402) as a first step to go with the yamaha nsp100 speakers im gonna get....

im worried about them being noisy as ive heard mention of a contstant fan issue? anyone know of this problem? would getting a full size amp/receiver mean there was no fan issue? and are there a top three full size ones i should be looking at in this sort of price range?

sorry, probably the kind of questions that are posted all the time..
    thanks for help

2. Jai

Jai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have the VSX-C402 amp. I can confirm that the fan is always on, and you can hear the slight hum of the fan when your watching a movie with a quiet scene. But i don't find it intrusive.

3. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ok - thanks.
    can you give me any tips on how to get the best out of the 402? best settings? etc etc how are you finding it? are you happy with it?

thanks

4. Jai

Jai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me first say I’m not a expert on these things as this is my first amp(£180) which is connected to the ELAC cinema 1 Mk2 speakers (£200)

The sound from the speakers is fine(better than my TV or my PC creative speakers), but friends have said that the subwoofer is not loud enough. Not sure if the AMP is not powerful enough to get the best sound from the Sub or it’s just a limitation of Sub. Maybe someone with the same speakers can comment?

There are approx 30 sound modes, but to be honest most of them don’t sound good, I just leave it on “Midnight” mode. The only really good thing about it is, it has 4 scart sockets which makes it easy to connect the TV,DVD,PC and PLAYSTATION.
    It would be better if it came with a auto sound calibration (like the C502),as setting the speakers settings and distance manually is a bit of a pain. And you never know if your setting them to correctly for the best sound.

Overall If your not too fussed over sound and can pick it up cheap (£100-130) it’s not bad. But if I could turn back time I would have gone for a all in one home cinema system (approx £400), As I have heard sound a system (£1500,BW 600 series speakers with a yamaha amp), which didn’t really blow me away (I know people are going to hate me for saying that).

Hope this helps.
    (oh yes the specs state that you should only connect speakers with 6ohm or higher).

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The reason your sub may not sound loud enoguh is because you are using midnight mode, which reduces the volume of the sub fequencies. This is because at night these are the ones that travel the most, as higher frequencies are absorbed by walls ect..

6. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm using the 301, I can honestly say I have never heard it running at all, but I sit about 2 meters away from the amp and tend to have things cranked. You're much more likely to hear noise from, say, a games console or HTPC fan that you are the amp I believe. Don't let it put you off.

For reference, I'm using Mission 700, 702e and 73c for my set up, no sub yet! Has no problems coping with these as far as I know, don't limit yourself necessarily to little satellites.