Noisy 5700

RobertSE6

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there - newbie alert - be gentle with me! :hiya:

Just bought a screenplay 5700 and I love most things about it - except the noise!

From reading on here it would seem this is
- a known problem with some due to it being ceiling mounted upside down - so might be worth sending back? Its jsut above and slightly behind the seating
- or just something which isn't a fault and I'll have to live with it or fit a hush box

I certainly didn't notice noise when I demo'd it - when it was right way up and just behind the sofa at head height (sitting down head height that is!)

Any advice please

I've tried to find ready made hush boxes on line but no luck - whisperflow.com seems out of action

Rob

It's possible you have it set to high brightness which dramatically increases the fan noise. Low brightness is better for a blacked out home cinema anyway as it increases contrast and gives better blacks.
Go into menu and click on SETTINGS, then click on SYSTEM and highlight LOW POWER mode. ensure that the low power mode box is ticked and this should reduce the fan noise.
If it's already in low power mode, then I'm afraid that's the sound it makes!!!

Same story with my Screenplay 7200, it's a peach in just about every respect bar the noise level. I have got somewhat used to it and in truth it's only really a big problem during quiet scenes, though most of the films I tend to watch are of the action variety so it gets drowned out. :D
I'd be interested to know if you have any joy looking into hush boxes as I drew blanks when I tried to find ready assembled solutions a while back.

Borrowed one off a friend and found it was nosier upside down and presumed something was loose. Tried tightening all the screws but no joy, then screwed down the leveling feet for when it is used the right way up and it became a far bit quieter. Can only assume the feet when left out rattled a bit with no weight on them.

Hope this helps

Hi
Had the same problem with my 5700 it was fine the right way up but noisey ceiling mounted. I contacted infoucus who said it was a know fault and they would pick it up repair it and send it back. I then got onto sevenoaks who supplied it they replaced it with a new one and that is so quite youve got a job to tell its on. I brought mine in August and the replace it in December with 60 hours on the lamp.

PS The fault is with the colour wheel.

Thanks Everyone !

unticking high power certainly helped a bit

I'll try the feet too - not had a chance yet - too many noisy movies to watch first ;-)

I'll try contacting infocus too - although to my (ignorant!) ears it sounds like fan noise - like from my PC - where is your PJ in relation to where you sit please jonrud, and how far away? Is it almost inaudible even in quiet passages?

Rob

Mine is about 12 inches from my head and in quite passages I am indeed aware of it, but I don't find it too bothersome. During louder scenes I don't know it's there at all.

We sit about 5/6 feet away and its as quiet as a mouse even in a quite part of a movie. :smashin:

I am a recent owner of the 5700, and have noticed a change in noise output when I feed it either a Region 1 or Region 2 progressive signal, with the Region 1 being noisier. Anyone know the explanation for this? I have it upside down on a stand high up also.

Progressive scan images do come out brighter through the Infocus compared to interlaced due to all lines being displayed in one pass as opposed to two passes for interlaced. A brighter image means the fan has to work harder to keep the bulb from getting too hot. Why Region 1 discs are noiser is a mystery to me. It may have something to do with the contrast and black levels on NTSC compared with PAL which are different and need different settings but Gary Lightfoot is the man to ask on this subject. He regularly post on here and is a wealth of info on such matters.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom