Noisey Sky+ Box - Faulty??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by LMD, Dec 18, 2004.

1. LMD

LMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Evening all.

Recently moved house and just had Sky+ installed (had previously been with a Cable company at last home).

I have noticed that the box is making constant 'whirring' noises, even when just watching a channel. It's quite like a muted version of the noise it makes when you first switch it on and the hard drive fires-up - not overly loud but noticeable and annoying.

I have an Amstrad box so would automatically question build quality, lol. My assumption is that the box is faulty, can anyone confirm or are all Sky+ boxes noisey??

Thanks in advance!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you have "instant rewind" switched on, the box will be constantly writing data to the disk drive, so the noises are normal.

3. Fol

Fol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to say I think its your Amstrad box. I had an Amstrad box installed about a month ago, and it was very noisy. Luckily the box had 2 faults - the onscreen time was constantly changing and picture often froze - so the box was replaced. The new box is a Pace and is much quieter.

You could always make out their is a fault with your box (Sky didn't check mine before they replaced it) and make sure you get the engineer to replace with a Pace box ;)

4. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked Sky for a Pace box but the engineer didn't have one, and i ended up with an Amstrad couple days ago.
    It was noisey when it first went in, but after the first day it was fine. I have instant rewind set to 30 mins and cant hear anything (its in a glass cabinet if that helps). Maybe it was okay after the auto firmware upgrade?