1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisey Shuttle...Will a laptop mat help?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Bazmondo, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Bazmondo

Bazmondo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Ive just purchased the supposedly ' whisper quiet ' Shuttle XPC SNG4........Ha!

Whilst i can appreciate noise is a question of an individual perception i was lead to believe these systems were practically noiseless. Unfortunately this is far from the case.

I bought the shuttle from Mesh computers and when i rang to ask if there was anything to resolve the noise they just advised that because of the power of the pc it had to have sufficient fan action to cool it.

The shuttle is an AMD 64 3.2ghz with an ATI x800 Pro card in it with 1gig of ram.

Apparently it has an I.C.E cooling system in it which is also meant to keep it quiet. When the setting fot the fan is on low it is quiet and i'm more than happy with it but on this setting every few seconds the fan kicks in stronger making it even more irrating than having it on the mid setting which is at least constant blowing.

As ive only just bought the thing and not much of a modder so i dont really want to start chopping it up, therefore i was enquiring as to whether or not there was a quick fix or a simple fan change that could sort it. I'm also thinking that if i were to sit the system on one of those fan mats (Targus Tornado Notebook Chill Mat) would this stop the fan kicking in when the setting is on low.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me

Cheers

Barry

2. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2