1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

noisey player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cirdan, Dec 13, 2004.

1. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i posted something similar a month or so back. basically i got a pioneer 370 a few months ago from rs. straight away i noticed that when playing disks it was a bit noisey. i have put up with it for a few weeks but its starting to annoy me a bit. its not just the odd dvd that it does it on its all of them. the player only cost £70 so i dont expect it to be totally silent but i expect it to be quiet when its playing a dvd.
    my other two players before this were all a bit noisey when loading up a disk or when say going through the menus but when i clicked on play i couldnt hear a thing. but this carries on the noise during playback.
    i rang rs up the other day and was told that this player was a little bit more noisey than most, but i want to know if there is anything up with mine or if that is how they are. the player is great i like it a lot and dont really want to change it but i am being distracted everytime i watch a film.
    anyone else with a 370?
    cheers.

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I know where youre coming from on this. My old wharfedale 750 was exactly the same.Not a lot can be done ,its all down to the motor some are quiet some are not .Mine probably like yours was starting to get very annoying.In the end i bought a new one.You might be lucky and get an axchange at rs.They are usually very good.

3. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    Same here with my old Pioneer 525. Very noisy on some disks, quieter on others. Drove me mad to the point of replacing it with a Sony NS305, which is totally silent :)

4. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheap light players tend to be noisier due to poor construction of chassis and transport . In the age of CD i used to put my ear to the cd drawer and listen for any nasty noises before buying, sony were the winners and a meridian 506 I bought was totally silent - it was £875 about 10 years ago...

5. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks.

i am going to go back into rs in the morning. just to see if anything can be done. i thought it may just be my player because we bought a friend a pioneer 360 last xmas for around the same price as the 370, £70, and that one is pretty quiet.so maybe i just have one thats a bit louder.
    ill see what they say. if i do have to change models, do sony play the alien quad set ok, thats the reason why i had to get the pioneer in the first place as my old player wouldnt, but pioneer does.

cheers.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,845
    Sony players play the Alien films perfectly.

I would recommend the NS585 from amazon (£89.99 for mult region). I chose it over a Pioneer DV470 which I also noticed was a bit noisy. The Sony is totally silent.

7. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Would suggest tosh340e very quiet.Very good picture.

8. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks.

ill see what happens when i go in the morning.

9. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i went back in this morning. the guy checked it out and he said that it was ok, and hed heard a lot louder than this. i was kinda expecting that reply.
    as i said i can hear it all the time, but it does get a bit louder but you cant always say when.

so i think i will pass it to my mum and look for another one. it cost me £50odd so thats not too bad. i still dont want to pay over £100 because a lot of those players have features i wont use, but i want a quiet one, so i will see whats available.

thanks for the advice.