Noisey fan In Optoma HD70??

flaperise

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to your forums, hope i'd be of welcome here :hiya:

Ok, so today i've just been given from my friend i've known for alot of years his Optoma HD70 HD ready projector, it has a new lamp and i've been watching stuff around his on it for 2 or 3 years he's had it.

Just about 3 or 4 months ago it's started to make a noise, straight away i thought it was the air fan, soon as it boots up it's this loud constant noise, we did blow most of the dust out off the insides but didn't do the trick.

Now the sound is just about bareable when watching anything in 50hz, 60hz and the noise goes louder and it does a little rattler vibrating noise louder!

Heres the video link showing the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8seEJcKiZ4

Months before it could still what it could do now without that horrid noise.

He had it in a air fanned room which is dark as he's living back at his sisters in a room, it was based inside a little enclosed shelf that probably didn't do it justice at all even more when the only thing that was open was the window but had towels and the curtain drawn to stop daylight coming through.

Now i'm hoping it's the air fan because it reminds me of the old packard bell i used to have that when it booted up and in use it used to make this racket, like it was the airfan spinning too fast constantly that it was vibrating against the shell.

He did put a book onto of it to see if it would dim the sound and it did.

i've uploaded video footage of it making the noise and with abit more commentry by me. I have to say some weird reason my voice sounds very high on the camera some reason but i don't care lol.

If you are happy taking the cover off (unplugged of course), have a look at the fan and see if you can find a part number. The fan will be an off-the-shelf part. If there is no part number, look for any other info of the fan. The things that matter are:

- cfm - the amount of air the fan pushes through per minute
- db - the noise the fan makes - you may even find one with lower noise output and everything else remaining equal
- thermostatic control - does the fan have a sensor
- wiring and terminals
- exact size

Make sure you note which direction the fan is pushing air before you remove it - there will be an arrow on the fan. Your new fan may look different, so check it goes in the right way.

You should hopefully find a replacement on the internet without too much trouble. The price saving replacing it yourself will be huge if you can find the right part.

But judging from the video i posted of the noise, would you say it's definatley the fan?

The fan pushe's air towards the front grill as you can see on the video, when i opened it once the fan looks like Computer proccesor fan Like on a AMD.

I can try emailing optoma and asking what kind of airfan it is, as they want £80 for just looking at the thing and then giving me a price for repair.

and is it easy if i do get a new fan to connect it back up?

Here is a video showing the fan inside, i have photo's if needed.

there are two videos here, one showing the inside and the fan

and the other one where i discovered these squishy rubber things around the metal parts to cushion vibration that looked worn away, but it's made no difference.

First 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqKBqDRxBlY

Number 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JySZ80F9kKc

P.S in the second video called part 3 the idea didn't work.

Ok i think i discovered what airfan maybe making the noise.

It seems to be this little one next to the colour wheel.

I took some photo's of it and i have the details of the fan, please can someone help me move forward on this.

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

sunon maglev fan GB1205PKV4-AY

DC12V=0.7W

MADE IN CHINA

this is the fan i'm pointing to in the picture next to the colour wheel

Ok now i need some serious help this has happend.

I disconnected the airfan in the middle next to the colour wheel, i switched it on, and the noise started again, then light in the lens went off and the noise dimmed right down but was still halfly there, so i'm getting closer to what the real problem is, either the big fan at the back right or the colour wheel??

Please look at the video it's just so confusing!!!!!:(:thumbsdow

YouTube - Noise inside Optoma HD70 Projector red light?

Christ, what a racket!!

Sounds more like something catching the fan blades to me, when bearings go they tend to make a high pitched whine. Unless its been whining for a while and the bearing has totally disintegrated.

I'd turn it on with the cover off, its the only way you'll properly diagnose the problem. Obviously be carefully not to to touch anything sensitive when doing this. Check out both fans first of all, try stopping each off them to see if the noise stops (press the centre to slow stop them, maybe with a pencil, jamming the fans *may* break a fin), also note the projector may temporarily throw a fan fail error if you do this.

Also watching it running with the case off will let you see and vibrating parts/if wires,etc. are catching. There is also the possibility that the colour wheel is the cause, so check all moving parts out.

Just read your last post. The red light will be a fan fail warning as described above.

I'd still run it with the cover off to find the culprit.

Just read your last post. The red light will be a fan fail warning as described above.

I'd still run it with the cover off to find the culprit.

So will jamming the fans with the cover off still be ok, once i've discoverd what it is and i put it all back together, i won't keep getting the fan warning?

Oh i just remember, before the fans started making the noise

one time it cut out, and that exact light started flashing, switched back on and it was ok but he left it off for a few hours, next time i came around that's when the nois began.

So will jamming the fans with the cover off still be ok, once i've discoverd what it is and i put it all back together, i won't keep getting the fan warning?
It will only give you the warning light it it detects a fan not spinning.

It will only give you the warning light it it detects a fan not spinning.

Oh ok thats good, i've uploaded the video above, i didn't know whether sticking a penicil into the spinning fans may cause it to explode or something? :confused:

I've done it with PC fans before ok, but if you can press the centre of the fan (if accessible) you can slow it down stop it safely.

Nothing will explode :D

I've done it with PC fans before ok, but if you can press the centre of the fan (if accessible) you can slow it down stop it safely.

Nothing will explode :D

Ok with the first main fan at the top right corner, before i switch it on, place a pencil in there, then switch it on, discover if it's the fugitive, if or if not, then switch is off then try the miniture one in the middle, even though theres a few wires across it i won't get a shock from just doing what you said to both fans with a penicil:confused:

EDIT: having heard that noise properly now, be sure its not the colour wheel, as they can shatter and make a racket. They are obviously more expensive than a fan.

If it is the fan, that is good news (cost wise) - you need to carefully remove it and see what type it is. Optoma may sell you a fan.

You are making good use of a camera - keep doing that as you take the fan out as it is so easy to forget how things went and which way round.

Hopefully, the fan will just be secured by those two top screws - if not you may have to do some more careful taking apart.

Do it on a clear table with lots of space and replace screws to where they belong asap (eg refit the fan screws to the mount, even with the fan out) - sod's law is you'll loose them otherwise.

If you have trouble finding the right fan, post whatever details you have up.

Don't forget to reconnect the fan you previously disconnected.

Last edited:
You need to carefully remove the fan and see what type it is. You are making good use of a camera - keep doing that as you take the fan out as it is so easy to forget how things went and which way round.

Hopefully, the fan will just be secured by those two top screws - if not you may have to do some more careful taking apart.

Do it on a clear table with lots of space and replace screws to where they belong asap (eg refit the fan screws to the mount, even with the fan out) - sod's law is you'll loose them otherwise.

If you have trouble finding the right fan, post whatever details you have up.

Don't forget to reconnect the fan you previously disconnected.

If you check the video up the top i did disconnect one fan and then booted it up.

these were the details for it as the other fan with a metal rim at the top right corner has nothing on it.

the details were:

SUNON MAGLEV FAN GB1205PKV4-AY CD12=0.7W MADE IN CHINA

I'VE FOUND THE CULPRIT WATCH THE VIDEO I JUST DONE. Sorry but it's been two days of worrying and i've found out whats the cause.

Here it is:

YouTube - Found the making of the noise inside the HD70 Optoma Projector

it's the colour wheel, i put the pencil in it while it was running and the noise stopped completely, anybody refer links to where i might need a new one?

Last edited:
Bugger!

Not what you want going wrong with it, colour wheels are hard to get hold of.

There's a thread over @ AVS discussing replacement.

It may be worth contacting Optoma telling them the colour wheel needs replacing, see what quote they give you.

Bugger!

Not what you want going wrong with it, colour wheels are hard to get hold of.

There's a thread over @ AVS discussing replacement.

It may be worth contacting Optoma telling them the colour wheel needs replacing, see what quote they give you.

Dam:thumbsdow
I will get in contact with optoma, just looked at the thread i'll post on there about where i can get one, but if anyone else looking on this thread know's somewhere online etc where i can order one would be great, are they easy to fit by yourself :confused:

I know this is an old post but found some relevant info for fan replacement details here on all optoma projector models and their individual part numbers, inc fan models, as an optoma technical xl sheet and as i found this post searching for heat/fan/colour-wheel problems thought others would find the info helpful.

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDUQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.optoma.co.uk%2Foptomatechnical%2Fdownloads%2Fmiscfiles%2FOptoma%2520Core%2520Price%2520List.xls&ei=H_9zUvb9C4-QhQfVpoGABw&usg=AFQjCNFaF0NJkycT5lRquI8mxCeUi4zmww&bvm=bv.55819444,d.ZG4

Be careful as Rs components (UK) list the hi-power model of the HD70 blower- designated sunon maglev fan GB1205PKV 1 running at 1.5 watts consumption.

This is detailed by Sunon, in their spec sheet below-1st link-p75, as the high power version with the GB1205PKV 4 noted as the extra low version. A trade off of noise to air-flow but not helping heat issues which i suspect has caused people problems.

Link below to Sunon for blower specs if you are looking for suitable replacements for a 50x50x20mm blower but a GB1205PKV4-8AY cosumes 1.3 watts so the GB1205PKV2-8AY matches on size and consumption.

http://www.sunon.com/uFiles/file/03_products/08-catalog%20download/Sunon%20DC%20Brushless%20Fan%20&%20Blower_%28190-E%29.pdf

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom