Noise when applying brakes

the_fall_guy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when I brake, I can hear a mild screech. Does this mean I need my brakes done or that a cylinder is leaking? Apart from that, the brakes feel as if they're working fine.

The car is a Honda Civic, not the brand new model. It is a 51 plate.

It will be the Brake wear indicator. It's telling you that the brakes need to be replaced soon .... not as in straight away, but in the next few months or weeks (depends on how hard you brake). I normally replace them when they are a constant loud screech.

The other thing is that it could be a build up of brake dust, get a power hose and blast the wheels ... that should remove any build up .... be careful though ... as your brakes will be wet and braking wont be as responsive.

Lastly ... it could be because of the brakes over heating and expanding causing the shims to hit the brake disc ... the recent hot weather has caused a number of people to think they need to change their brakes, when it's just been the brake expanding due to the heat.

I wouldn't worry too much about it .... if your really conserned ... pop into your local garage, and they should be able to tell you if the brake pads need replaced yet.

HTH

Ben

The mild screech could be anything. Could just be the backs of the pads rubbing, which can be cured with a little copper ease.

If your pads are worn, you will normally hear a grinding sound. To some, from inside the car, it sounds like steam being released.

Take your wheels off and inspect the pads.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom