Noise transmission from next door.

wibblywobbly

Before anyone mentions 'search', trust me, I have and read everything I can find both here and elsewhere! :thumbsup:

I live in a 2 bed end terrace 1980's house, which I suspect is block construction.

Previous neighbours installed laminate flooring.

The new neighbour is a young 'pond life' type (and I don't use the term lightly) with whom effective communication is both difficult, and totally pointless.

I have had around 3 full nights sleep since he moved in on Christmas Eve, and now that he appears to be out of work I have to put up with him, his noise, his parties (absolutely deafening and disgusting), his BBQ's, and his legion of foul mouthed friends almost 24/7. I even went to France last week to get away from him and slept like a baby!

Forget the local council, their escape act is, you put up with it for a couple of months, you report it and they ask you to see if the noise continues, then after a couple of months you tell them it has, then they send you a log sheet to complete for a couple of months, then they advise the neighbour that the noise is being monitored (so obviously they keep the noise down for a week or two), and tell you that legal action is not the 'best solution'. In short, they will do nothing at all except take their salary out of my council tax.

As regards the noise. Am I right in thinking that if he has an airtight house (double glazed), and laminate flooring, then all sound generated will take the path of least resistance? I ask this as it actually seems create a sound cannon effect on the partition wall. It is not just sound, but feels like compression on my brain. Even lying on a superthick memory mattress bed, with earplugs, sound makes my whole body vibrate and will easily wake me up? Is he effectively living in a giant speaker box?

It isn't just music (though he did fire up an electronic drum kit at full volume Christmas Day), it is absolutely any sound that is generated in his house. Switches, cupboards, doors, stairs, hoover, creaking floorpanels, thumps on the stairs, dogs (I got that one dealt with), conversation, tv etc etc. The list is endless, but my sanity isn't.

I can't afford to spend thousands on an ineffective solution (or even an effective one), due to now being out of work. My chances of holding down a job even if could get one are zero as I cannot get any sleep, and I work in a high concentration/lot of thinking area. I currently have to grab sleep when I can.

My internal doors are about 50mm from the party wall, so my options for a secondary wall are severely limited.

In short, is there any DIY solution to the sound problem. Please do not offer suggestions on the 'send the boys round' level as I am not going to lower myself to his level no matter what.

Many thanks

Rob G

Pugs1

Sorry but even the best man can crack and although you say you won't lower yourself to his level, sometimes a 'word' is the only option left.

I feel great sympathy towards you having to put up with scum like that but personally if it were me, then I would have to have a word. I'm still not lowering myself to his level, just sticking up for my own rights and where I live.

Good luck

Last edited:

ukdan

I have a similar problem but does not bother me too much as we are probably just as loud.
I wonder if cavity wall insulation will help with sound insulation too?

Ted White

I am sorry you have to endure this.

Since your walls are likely coupled, insulation will do little for you. I'm trying to be realistic, but there are no easy or inexpensive options.

In this case, all of his sound is not being funneled through a single point. The sound enters the building structure and is conducted to you via various means. Airborne possibly, but certainly structural.

Last edited:

s_d_grif

Hi Rob G,

We had a similar problem for long periods and unfortunately in the end our evil pain-in-the-arse "neighbours" only got evicted for non-payment of rent rather than noise levels. :mad:

You're unlikely to be able to make significant structural changes, but I do recommend keeping up the pressure. Keep your sound log, and keep it well. See if you can get hold of sound measuring equipment. Encourage other neighbours to do the same. Council officials will let things rest unless you keep up the pressure. Our local council now has a call-out squad with mics etc. which you call out-of-hours, as part of an anti-social behaviour campaign.

If you know the house is rented also try contact the landlord/agent. Rental contracts often have clauses concerning noise. Again, keep up the pressure as they may only act if you are being as much as pain in their lives as your neighbour is to you! (For us this included reporting noise as it happened, often at 3 or 4am to their landlord).

I hope you manage to find a solution. Stu

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom