noise reduction headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by davepuma, Aug 24, 2004.

1. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    Hi,

I borrowed a mate's noise reduction headphones the other night. I work on a ship so we've always got some background noise of some description. I was amazed at the quality of the sound, the detail and especially the fact they cut out most of the backround noise. They were an unknown American brand. Can anyone recommend a decent set of headphones that are available in UK or some from the usual Japanese brands. I'm currently in the Far East and listened to some unknown brand jobs the other day in a shop and they were awful and expensive. Are any of the full size type headphones any good eg. Grado (No.1 in Stuff Magazine) or do I need the noise reduction (it certainly made a bit of difference)?

Cheers

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,900
    They're great for e.g. flying even without using them for music or the movie soundtrack - just to suppress background noise, full stop. Mine are pretty cheap Aiwa bought from a Radio Shack store in the US.

Probably the most effective and comfortable ones are from Bose. Very very expensive, though - probably too much so.

3. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,383
  4. max_keller

max_keller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have to get some Audio-Technica ATH-A500s to try out. ATH-A500 is the essence of the A900 with a little less detail. I'd say that they still pretty good. Also, they don't require to use with a headphone amp.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,900
    Max - there's nothing I can see on that website about these having an ambient noise reduction feature - just regular headphones. Or am I missing somthing?

6. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sennheiser PCX 250's

They use NoiseGuard suppression system which is used in commercial aviation headsets for pilots etc, and they fold up quite neat which is handy onboard ship where space is usually at a premium. You should be able to get them for under £65.00

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    unlike the £275 Bose units! Philips have made some excellent noise cancelling algorithms perhpas they have put some into head phones....

8. ptuxford

ptuxford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are comfortable with the in-ear design, you cannot go past Etymotic ER4Ps - the sound quality and isolation need to be experienced to be believed. Check out www.etymotic.com or http://www.headfi.com/ for more details. :thumbsup:

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    Totally agree! I've got a pair of these (or perhaps an older model) and use them whenever I fly and find the noise reduction excellent. I have tried the headphones with the noise reduction switched off and had to turn the vlolume of the film up a lot higher to hear it. Also as nigel said they work well at reducing background noise when having a conversation etc without a film/music playing. I've also used them on the train/tube with my MP3 HDD player and they do help to reduce stress & volume require on there.

Mark.

10. mrmc74

mrmc74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Philips have the sbc hn060 in-ear plugs just come out over here, well not over here because strangely enough they're not available in Holland.

Ordered some from Germany last week. Not arrived yet.

But at 35 euros might be a cheaper solution.

Going to try them out on a flight to Australia.

11. mrmc74

mrmc74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They were quite good I have to say. Probably upped the volume 30% with the reduction turned off.

12. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    go for the bose quietcomforts. you can get them much cheaper than rrp on ebay.

I was amazed at the way they sound (and block out sound).. They'll stiull be a lot of money - but you'll never buy another set of headphones in your life!