Noise problem with Arcam DAB 10

daycartes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I bought a brand new Arcam DAB 10 a few years ago and it worked OK until a couple of years ago when I started to get a really annoying low frequency pulse output noise (ba,ba,ba,ba), which served to break up the normal output which is OK reception wise. In fact reception according to the display is nigh on perfect. The noise is there whether I am tuned into a station or not (such as when sarching for stations).

I emailed Arcam as it was now out of warranty, but I didnt even get an acknowledgement. I waited for many months and it was only when I found out that there were some new really good stations available that I turned it back on. Same fault, I emailed ARcam support again. Still no acknowledgement.

What irks me is that I bought a second hand Arcam 8 whos only fault was that the remote didn't work correctly. This now works better than it did when I bought it (remote now works!!) and it cost a great deal less than the DAB unit. OK both units are at least 10 years old but are we to accept that new technology produces kit that doesn't last very long?

I invested in Arcam because I thought that it would last for a considerable time. Looks like I have wasted my money and looks like Arcam after sales service resembles 1970s British practice.

Any info on the fault would be gratefully acknowledged.
daycartes

Last edited:
Feeling just a bit paranoid after reading good stuff about Arcam after sales service. Could those posters who have received such excellent after sales service outside of the guarantee period please let me know what method they used to contact Arcam. I would have thought in this day and age that email would be the way to go.
I did notice that those posters who did give good feedback on their equipment had only had their equipment for a relatively short time. Most of mine is coming up for 10 years old now. I made a decision 12 years ago to buy quality and this has proved to be a wise decision in most areas of life. I expect the equipment that I buy which has a high price tag to last a lot longer than the £50 DAB radio from Dixons.

I have: Arcam Alpha 1 CD Alpha 9 Power amp, Alpha 7SE Cd player, Alpha 8 Tuner A32 amp DAB 10 Tuner, CD33 so as you can see I have invested in Arcam.

daycartes

The lack of response from Arcam is disgusting. In view of all the bull that "What Hi-Fi" and "Hi-Fi Choice" have given them over the years, I would suggest that you bring this matter to their attention and see if they can speak to someone at Arcam in the hope of getting some assistance. Although this is Arcams problem, it does not reflect well on the magazines.

In respect of the fault, have you installed any new equipment about the time that the fault surfaced? Alternatively, try unplugging and replugging all cables to/from the equipment and try substituting the cables if you can, including the mains and antenna(s). Are you using an external antenna or one of the indoor single wire ones?

If you have access to another portable DAB radio or an AM radio, have a walk around the area and see if they pick up any neighboring interference. It's not unknown for a faulty street light to generate unusual interference

Good luck, Dave

Last edited:
Try posting this in the Arcam forum and you might get a better response - there are a couple of employees that monitor/comment on particular threads or issues ...

Arcam Products Forum at AVForums.com

Jon

Thanks to jont and superbike999 for your contributions. I have reposted this onto the suggested Arcam forum and will now monitor it from there.
To answer your suggestions superbike 999, the fault exists without any aerial input therefore I would guess that the fault is not on the signal path - the more I think about it the more I am inclined for it to be a power supply problem. What I need to know now is: is it possible to change the power supply and how much would a replacement cost. The idea of lugging the unit down to my local dealer, not being able to park closeby doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.
I get very good service from Audi even though my cars are now out of their warranty period, magnificent service a couple of weeks ago by autoglass which was incidentally during the wedding weekend and various other agencies, why is Arcam different?

Oh I have a panasonic portable DAB and a pure Evoke DAB both of which work perfectly.

Thanks again daycartes

The fact that it happens all the time does sound like a fault with the DAB10 I'm afraid - if it's low frequency it could well be a power supply issue. Not much use to you I know!:(

Thanks for your reply supraTTman, any info is useful so thanks. Seeing that I haven't had any response from any arcam buff I decided to fault find myself. I removed the signal and fault remained. I then looked inside for any obvious signs of loose connections and / or damaged component. Everything looked OK. I then bought some freezer spray. My rationale for this was that it seemed to be a heat problem - the unit would work for a few seconds before the low frequency noise started. A few judicious sprays in the unit and the noise went - yippee- after a few minutes the noise returns. I've got it down to the following component c112 which is a elna simlic electrolytic 25v 100 microfarad. These are available from china and usa but are there any suppliers in UK as postal charges far outweigh the value of the components?
I have emailed Arcam for a circuit diagram/ service manual and have tried to find one on the internet, but although there are service manuals aplenty for Arcam amps, I can't find any for the dab units they make.

daycartes

CPC are great on price. Problem is, they have £5.95 handling charge unless you purchase > £45.

Maplin are expensive (~twice CPC) but if you have one locally, it may be cheaper.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom